Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

NINTENDO Wii’s Endless Ocean
GypsyDiver - 7/15/2008 6:43 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 9

I have spent the last couple of days playing with the Wii. It took a little getting adjusted to the controller. I have been playing Nintendo Wii’s Endless Ocean. It was very interesting. I have been exploring reefs and identifying aquatic life. I even did some night diving. I did a deep dive and got to swim with whales. All of this I have been able to do from the comfort of my living room. If you are a diver, who is landlocked or the weather won’t cooperate with your wishes. This is one way to over come the boredom and you don’t have to endure unbearable 60 degree temperatures for you warm water divers.
Diverguy1 - 7/15/2008 9:57 PM
My game crazy son was pooh-poohing the game until he read on his favorite game web site that it had scored an 8 out of 10. Hmmm his interest has definitely picked up. Now if I can just get my non-wife to "take the plunge."
ELLOCODIABLO - 7/15/2008 10:07 PM
I know what game my sons getting for his b day!!!!!
LuvinCayman - 7/16/2008 11:21 AM
i know what game I am getting for my son’s b-day... lol
tjdiving - 7/16/2008 11:41 AM
I have that game too! Can you believe the sound? It sounds exactly like you’re diving. Have you tried the Carnival Games yet? Jeez... you want to talk about addictive! In my opinion, the Wii is the best invention since the microwave. (Yes, I’m a gaming nerd)
AirOn - 7/17/2008 1:52 PM

I’ve been playing Endless Ocean too. It helps with my dive cravings when I can’t go diving...lol My wife asked me why I like the game it seems so slow compared to my normal choices... I tell he its because I find it relaxing...lol

Things I don’t care for in the "game" It doesn’t really promote diver awarness. The divers gages and Octo are not secured. They don’t even hint at Nitrogen awareness. They promote that you touch everything.. a lot! There is no form of dive planning, you just jump in...

While that may take away from the FUN aspect for a lot of non-divers I think it would be a nice feature. Perhaps am option for the details or not would have been nice?

It does "touch" on Fish ID as a main point, Photography gets some play, a little bit of search and salvage are included. Area exploration is a big part of it.

When you progress to a point in the game there is even a swim in aquarium that you can stock with the creatures you have Identified so far on your dives.

I think the game could have had even more impact if they had connected with any of the dive agencies or even just DAN? Make a promotional connection with some Oceanic preservation charity or something too?

Its a fun game with relaxing music and water sounds... If you get a chance while your stuck on land, try it out.
CAO - 7/22/2008 4:19 PM
Another alternative is to try an eDive. Its PC based and free at www.ediving.us. The dive sites are real, mostly SoCal for now, but we will be adding more. Right now there is a $10,000 contest going on. You also check out ’videos’ of some recent dives at http://www.youtube.com/edivingus

Honestly, the graphics blow the Wii away...but you need a pretty high-end computer.
tricia3909 - 8/07/2008 2:19 PM
Cool! Good to know... now my boys are excited! They wanna go out and get it NOW!

Thanks for the info!

From AirOn:

I’ve been playing Endless Ocean too. It helps with my dive cravings when I can’t go diving...lol My wife asked me why I like the game it seems so slow compared to my normal choices... I tell he its because I find it relaxing...lol

Things I don’t care for in the "game" It doesn’t really promote diver awarness. The divers gages and Octo are not secured. They don’t even hint at Nitrogen awareness. They promote that you touch everything.. a lot! There is no form of dive planning, you just jump in...

While that may take away from the FUN aspect for a lot of non-divers I think it would be a nice feature. Perhaps am option for the details or not would have been nice?

It does "touch" on Fish ID as a main point, Photography gets some play, a little bit of search and salvage are included. Area exploration is a big part of it.

When you progress to a point in the game there is even a swim in aquarium that you can stock with the creatures you have Identified so far on your dives.

I think the game could have had even more impact if they had connected with any of the dive agencies or even just DAN? Make a promotional connection with some Oceanic preservation charity or something too?

Its a fun game with relaxing music and water sounds... If you get a chance while your stuck on land, try it out.
dalehall - 8/07/2008 7:31 PM
My wife gave me a Wii for my birthday this past weekend along with Endless Ocean. Very cool game. Unfortunately, I have become a Guitar Hero addict!!!!
Hello, my name is Dale and I’m an addict.
tricia3909 - 8/14/2008 10:06 AM
lol Yeah Dale! I hear ya! I have my addictions too. [: