Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Servicing a reg and dive computer - prices, details, etc....
MIADiveGirl - 10/04/2016 4:00 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

Just finished my AOW Sunday and coincidentally one of my dive buddies called today to tell me a friend of his gave him a gently used reg and dive computer that he would like to give to me. WHAT?!!!! YAY!!!! He didn’t give me any details, but says his buddy is known to only buy really quality stuff. So anyway, I should have it within the month and I’m just wondering what I should expect the service to cost and if there is anything specifically I should know about the service required. I plan to ask a local DM/Captain/Friend to assist me locally, but I am just looking to be able to have an idea of where to even begin this process. TIA!
Eric_R - 10/05/2016 8:06 AM
As far as the reg goes, as long as it is rated for the environment you’ll be diving you should be fine. Get it serviced for a fresh start. The DC all depends on the brand and year. Some have user replaceable batteries and other don’t.
Subscribed
MIADiveGirl - 10/05/2016 8:56 AM
Great info, Eric, thank you!
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/05/2016 8:58 AM
From Eric_R: The DC all depends on the brand and year. Some have user replaceable batteries and other don’t.

Some lie, the newer Oceanic pucks have gone to a skinny O-ring that rolls in the grove and then floods :(
So even though they say user serviceable I take mine to the shop and if it floods it’s their problem, not mine :)
Subscribed
John_giu - 12/26/2016 1:23 PM
Cost for service can vary widely. Shop around.
I pay less then $60 for a overhaul of my complete set First stage, second, and octopus,
I’ve heard of price 2 to 3 x as much.

Also, when you find someone who gets them right stick with it.
Manufacturers recommend yearly rebuilds, likely because of liability.
You can likely get a couple of years between service depending on use.
Opinions vary widely on service, I don’t go longer than two years between service.