Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Newport Rhode Island, sugest dive sites, shops, etc.
sumbeach - 7/19/2016 12:46 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 3

I am traveling to the Newport RI area next week. can anyone please suggest any dive sites. also need some info on area dive shops. is there anyone in the area that does dive charters? I will be in the area from the 26th thru the 31st. also looking to meet up with some local divers if anyone is available.
Thanks,
Resqdivemedic - 7/23/2016 10:16 PM
A few sites in Newport I use are: Van Zandt Pier, ok dive, if you head north you can check out the pilings for the Newport Bridge; Fort Adams, good dive, watch the tide, it tends to get moving in that area; Kings Beach, good dive, lots of rock formations and walls to check out; Green Bridge, another good spot, it’s a cove loaded with eel grass and plenty of life to see, if you head to the mouth of the cove there is a rock called the roaring bull which is pretty neat to check out. If you want to cross the bridge into Jamestown there is Fort Wetherill, 2 coves. One fairly shallow but plenty to see and the other which some call Bull Point has pretty nice walls but drops off quick. Watch this spot on weekends since most area shops use it for OW dives. You can also check out Beavertail State Park in Jamestown, lots of rock formations to check out, again watch the tides and weather so you don’t get smashed into rocks. As far as shops, there is one in Newport on Thames St. called The Dive Shop and another in Jamestown called Dive On It. I know that one runs charters as well. Would love to buddy up but working those days. Good luck and dive safe.
Subscribed
sumbeach - 7/24/2016 1:15 AM
Thank you!