Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Sanibel
LuvinCayman - 7/07/2008 7:06 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 5

Heading down to Ft. Myers in a few weeks - everything I have read tells me the diving is not the best - any thoughts, recomendations for boat dives or shore dives would be appreciated.
yella71 - 7/07/2008 9:01 PM
I went to Naples with a friend last sept. and found the same problem. We made a road trip to the keys to dive .It took us about 2.5 hrs from Naples down Rt. 41(we exceded the posted speed limit a little). You can figure about another 2 hrs. Thats all I can suggest. 
davidfricks - 7/07/2008 9:55 PM

I have a book called Ned DeLoach’s Diving Guide to Underwater Florida. It’s good for finding obscure dive sites on the west coast. It lists these sites:
Beach dives:
  • Seventeenth Street Reef (Boca Grande Island)
  • Old Phosphate Dock
  • Dock Wreck.
Boat Dives:
  • Power Pole Reef
  • Helen’s Barges
  • Redfish Barges Reef
  • Sherman’s Reef
  • Arcoa Reef
  • Vixen Wreck
  • ARC Barge
  • Jaycees Reef
uwlover4u - 7/08/2008 8:32 AM
Forget about it. I’ve lived in Naples for 17 years and no one I know dives in this area. Nothing to see, poor vis. Take I-75 and head to Key Largo.
Denis
tjdiving - 7/08/2008 8:46 AM
Definitely head down to the Keys. I’ve lived in Sarasota/Bradenton, FL my whole life and have heard people talk about the poor vis there.
Subscribed
LuvinCayman - 7/09/2008 10:41 AM
This is what I figured from everything I read - now I just have to con the wife in to letting me and our son leave for a day or 4 in the middle of vacation...