Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

end dolphin slughter
urbaneve - 2/13/2007 10:55 AM
Category: General
Replies: 2

Japan is slaughtering thousands of dolphins and small whales in drive hunts During drive hunts, fishermen panic and confuse migrating pods of dolphins and other small whales with loud banging, then herd them, by the hundreds, into shallow coves, and then butcher them one by one. Every year, some 20,000 small cetaceans of several species, some of which are endangered, including bottlenose dolphins, striped dolphins, spotted dolphins, Risso’s dolphins, short-finned pilot whales, white-sided dolphins, and false killer whales, are killed or taken in the drives, sometimes illegally. The hunts have been universally condemned by marine experts around the world as brutal, inhumane, and unsustainable, but pleas to stop them have fallen on deaf ears. Therefore, we, marine scientists and zoo and aquarium professionals, are asking for your support to bring this unconscionable practice to an end. http://tinyurl.com/339w4l
Greg - 3/04/2007 12:19 PM
Another divebuddy member was telling me about the same thing. Maybe you could write a dive blog about it and post pictures to improve awareness.
Subscribed
urbaneve - 3/04/2007 9:05 PM
that sounds like a good idea -- i am going out of town for a few weeks , but when i return i will work on it. thanks for the idea