Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Diving Grand Cayman
DiveGirl - 6/21/2008 9:56 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 12

Ok, I have expanded my search for a perfect Dive vacation to Grand Cayman. It looks like they have 2 dive resorts, one at Compass Point and the other at Cobalt Coast Resort. I have checked reviews through TripAdvisor but you never know if the excellent reviews were written by the resort owners. Anybody been to either? We are looking for a dive vacation for August.

Thanks!

Kristy
Rye - 6/21/2008 6:42 PM
Hey, never been to those resorts but if you want AMAZING diving, a great atmosphere and delicious cooking go stay at McCoys Lodge on Little Cayman. I just returned from a week long trip there and i wish i could’ve stayed :) Little Cayman is less populated than Grand and it has the most excellent diving!!!! McCoys Lodge is run by the McCoy family and they are great people. Chances are if you stay there with a group of 6 or so close friends or diving relatives you will have it all to yourselves........please check it out at www.mccoyslodge.com.ky :)
Rye - 6/21/2008 6:44 PM
By the way 3 home cooked meals are included and are cooked by Ms. Pam..........she is the most amazing cook ever!!!!! :)
VaDiver95 - 6/22/2008 8:21 PM
Compass Point is, by far, the best operation I’ve seen! I dove with them for 10 days and the diving was greateffortless and relaxing. I would definately dive with them again.
Subscribed
DiveGirl - 6/23/2008 9:53 AM
VADiver - I was leaning towards Compass Point since it seemed like one of those places where you walk out of your room and onto the boat and the fact that they take care of your gear is awesome! I hate the whole rinsing gear in a hotel bath tub then spreading it all over the balcony and bathroom to dry. The only concern I had with Compass Point is there anywhere close by for food? I’m on vacation and definitely don’t want to cook! Also, what part of VA? I live in the boonies north of Richmond.
Subscribed
DiveGirl - 6/23/2008 9:56 AM
Hi Beth. Thanks for the response! From some of the reviews I read, do you have to take a shuttle to get to the boat? Were you ever able to take advantage of the shore dives? I also read some reviews where divers complained that Dive Tech would send them out with only half empty tanks and that the gear was in horrible shape.
Subscribed
DiveGirl - 6/23/2008 10:09 AM
Hi Rye. I have heard that the diving in Little Cayman is pristine! However, is there anything to do on Lil Cay when not diving? We are trying to schedule a week vacation for just the 2 of us. We are not big partiers, but we would like to do some cheesy touristy stuff at night.
Subscribed
DiveGirl - 6/23/2008 12:55 PM
Thanks Beth! Most of the reviews for Cobalt were great. There was only a couple that were bad. I just always get nervous that the good ones were written by employees! It’s good to hear that you had a good experience. Both places have their plus a minuses. Now I just have to choose! Can’t wait to go. Last time I went diving was during Thanksgiving and we went diving off Monteray Bay, CA. That was my first and hopefully last cold water diving! There was an algae bloom that turned the water red which was cool. What wasn’t cool was the thousands of jellies! I am perfectly fine diving with sharks, but put me with a bunch of jellies and I am freaking. Luckily I was soo cold that I forgot about all the jellies around me :)
Rye - 6/27/2008 11:22 PM
um there isnt alot but the McCoys have a sunset bar and locals and visitors come for a drink, could be interesting. And every Saturday the McCoys have a BBQ for the whole island and guests are served first! yay! People come for that cause its the biggest night of the week, other than that there isnt alot t do but its still really fun
LuvinCayman - 7/07/2008 1:58 PM
Hey Beth - I stayed at the Morritt’s in GCM last fall - it’s quiet and out of the way, right on the beach, and the boat picks you up at the end of their private pier - great dive shop, great dive team - Ask for Delcie - she was a sweatheart. The nice thing about this part of Cayman is that there is no bad diving at all.

The other post that mentioned food prices in GCM was correct EXPENSIVE. This place is a condo timeshare, but I think you can book in directly. Reasonable prices, and full kitchen - we shoped at the local grocery in town - not the one by the resort, and prices were fine - we ate out a few nights, and that was good too - would rather save the money for diving and gear than food... I think you will enjoy the diving anywere in GCM...