Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Wetsuit Alterations?
LiveBait - 5/20/2015 1:50 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

I’m a short guy 5.9’ so my wetsuit is a little long in the arms and legs. I’m trying to find a place to get them shortened. I’ve tried a local mom and pop tailor. They looked at me like I was a crazy person. They could not replicate the stitching and said "Good Luck.". So I was thinking maybe a car upholstery place? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Agojo - 5/20/2015 4:52 PM
I found a place in San Diego (I think it may have been in Oceanside) 10 years ago to alter mine, same issue you have. They had to cut off excess then cut up the sleeve and legs to remove some of the excess material and glue it. Also added extra neoprene material for knee pads in the correct location. Didn’t look good when finished but it sure did fit a lot better. I doubt a car upholstery place will give you a good fit when finished if they would even do it.
Eric_R - 5/21/2015 9:08 AM
Did you search the net? There’s several places that offer it. I would think the shop you bought it at would be able to measure you and send it out.
Subscribed
LiveBait - 5/21/2015 8:16 PM
I did find a place on-line, their in my state (Texas) but it’s over 225 miles away. My dive shop where I bought the wetsuit was my first move. The tailor they used, no longer does it. They are on the look out for me. I was hoping to do it local. I did find an upholstery place that said they would take a look at it (fingers crossed). Thanks for the help, still looking tho.

This is the place I found on-line.
terrapinwetsuits.com/alterations.html
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 5/22/2015 6:08 AM
Terrapin is awesome. My wife had a couple of alterations done with her and she made me a great hooded core warmer. They are in central Texas but ship just about everywhere. I highly recommend them......Oh, I forgot to mention she also added a couple of neo tech pockets to my full Oneill 3mm. She provides great instructions - you get your suit marked locally - ship to her - she makes modifications - ships back for you to try on before making final stitching. It is a bit of a process but if you want a PERFECT fitting suit.....I would not hesitate.