Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

The Calpyso could be yours
Eric_R - 3/14/2015 7:14 AM
Category: General
Replies: 5

Jacques Cousteau’s boat the Calpyso is in in a ship yard and its fate has yet to be determined.
theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/12/french-shipyard...ousteau-boat-calypso
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/14/2015 3:32 PM
It’s a shame to see her rotting away and the widow doesn’t seemed interested in saving the Calpyso in any way.
Subscribed
BillParker - 3/14/2015 6:29 PM
What a sad story for such a historic vessel. I hope some zillionaire comes forward and offers to pay to have it restored to seaworthy condition again.
Subscribed
BillParker - 3/14/2015 6:31 PM
I wonder what other ships are comparable in terms of how many places they went and how much was discovered.
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/15/2015 5:24 AM
From BillParker: What a sad story for such a historic vessel. I hope some zillionaire comes forward and offers to pay to have it restored to seaworthy condition again.

I could see her in a museum but the YMS’s were built for WWII and not to last. My father served on a YMS sweeping mines and chasing U-boats on the east coast and after dropping 3 depth charges would have to break off the attack or sink themselves.

They were wood boats so as to not attract magnetic mines, making her seaworthy again would cost a fortune.