Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

need help choosing regulator
diver69420 - 4/25/2014 3:29 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 13

I need help choosing a regulator. I have to choose between the aqua lung legend lx supreme or the atomic b2. I’m new to dive world and just could use some advice.
Eric_R - 4/25/2014 5:33 PM
I would go with what ever your local shop sells and recommends. Makes servicing easy.
Subscribed
diver69420 - 4/25/2014 5:37 PM
Thanks i appreciate it. I live in Mississippi and not many dive shops and dive buddies
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 4/25/2014 7:02 PM
just dont buy from Leisure Pro
Subscribed
diver69420 - 4/25/2014 7:29 PM
Thanks what about divers direct. Had any problems with them. And what regs do u use?
Subscribed
OUBobcat - 4/25/2014 8:22 PM
The main thing you need to consider is what the closest shop to you services like Prog said. Remember you have to get it serviced usually once a year...some I think are now on two year intervals. Either the shop won’t service it, or the shop will service it but they will more than likely charge you a good bit more if its not the brand they push.
If you gotta send it back to either DRIS or an online shop for service then you got postage/insurance you got to figure in and more than likely it’ll take a good deal longer to get back to you.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 4/25/2014 10:23 PM
I like Oceanic’s Top offerings the EOS or Delta 4.2 that said since you didn’t list it as one of your choice... The Atomic is a fine reg and it’s service interval is every 2 years or 300 dives. As for purchasing online I disagree with Stu about LeisurePro as long as you have somewhere to get what you purchased serviced. That means either through a friendly Reg Tech, yourself, a local shop that is authorized for the brand or by shipping it when due. I’ve done business with LeisurePro and others and always been take care of properly. Many will tell you to take care of your local shops so they don’t disappear. I believe you should take care of those shops that earn your business with both pricing and service. Regardless of whether they are local or not. The next warning will be that you can’t get tanks filled online. I remind those that before the sport was popular enough to support shops, divers formed clubs and set up their own compressors.
Greg - 4/25/2014 10:40 PM
Buying a reg just because a local dive center services it should not be a major concern. Minor concern...sure. But there are mail-in services that are affordable with a good turn around that anyone can use. So buy the reg you want, at a price you can afford...and if your dive shop doesn’t service it...mail it to a company that will.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 4/26/2014 12:26 AM
As an Aqualung dealer and partner in a small shop I seriously suggest buying from a local shop. as OUBobcat and Progrower say the service might become important down the road, I have yet to buy anything from Divers Supply but they do offer a wide selection of good products at decent prices. But if you have the option look for somebody local keeping a neighbor in business so they might be around to help down the road would be primaray down the road.
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 4/26/2014 4:59 AM
From your two choices. I would recommend buying the Atomic brand. I own 3 sets of Atomic’s. Diving in warm waters it really doesn’t matter what brand you purchase. Even the cheapest regs will do the job. I would suggest the cheapest rental SubGear line made by ScubaPro. I find ScubaPro is tops for quality of thier parts, fit and finish. They go back together and tune up perfectly everytime. And ScubaPro will be a lot easier to sell used when the time comes.
Subscribed
diver69420 - 4/26/2014 7:57 AM
Wow so many things I didn’t take into consideration thanks. Yall have been more than helpful. And I have made the decision to buy locally. In bay st. Louis Mississippi there’s one dive shop. And hardly anyone dives. And it’s nice to have good input from reliable sources. So thanks everyone. It’s just you know that moment where it’s like you have them both in hand with the money and it’s like......... ummmmmm......... and there are so many fancy words they throw at you. But I will be doing mostly warm water diving. So RAwalker made a really good point. And it’s gonna be pretty much my first set. I work offshore as a captain. I fuel all the carnival and royal cruise ships. 14 on and 7 off. So that’s 7 days of dive time. But again yall make this smoother than ever to make decisions. Thanks.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 4/27/2014 1:11 AM
I’ll make one other point... There are 2 different marketing schemes in use today.
The first is called MARP (Manufacturer Authorized Retail Price) this is when the manufacturer tells the retailer what the minimum price an item can sell for. This goes against the free market system. It is price fixing and keep the price of the product artificially higher than it otherwise would be. ScubaPro, Aqua Lung are such companies and although the products are quality IMHO it isn’t worth the extra you are required to pay.
The second scheme is called MAP (Manufacturer Advertised Price) it sets the price the retailer can advertise an item for but the Retailer is still free to sell for any price. They can compete for your business with discounts and markdowns as they see fit. This benefits us all with lower pricing and the best gear competing fairly in the open market. The majority of Manufacturers play fair and use this system.
With this in mind It is my suggestion that you be aware of the fact and vote with your purchases for MAP manufacturers and avoid MARP pricing.
Subscribed
John_giu - 4/27/2014 4:14 AM
IMHO
Mares has about the best bang for the buck. (someone probably thinks Mares are junk)
As for service, it’s a crap shoot. Many authorized service centers do poor work.
Just because a shop is local doesn’t mean you will get your gear serviced to your
satisfaction.
Your regulators, in my opinion are the single most important scuba purchase
you will ever make. They will probably last you a lifetime and will effect you diving pleasure
and comfort. Not every one can afford $1500.00 for a regulator but don’t go cheap.
Finally if there is a shop with a pool anywhere near you, they may let you test out what
they sell?
Subscribed
Dutch - 5/12/2014 2:26 PM
I like Mares a lot and as a tech never really found them to be a problem. I do not like the prices for their parts kits as I think they are twice as expensive as they should be. That is a cost that has to be added to your total cost of that yearly service no matter which models you buy.

Of the two you mention, I like the Atomic the best.