Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Complaint question
Plmr747 - 3/15/2014 10:06 PM
Category: General
Replies: 7

On a recent dive trip to the Dominican, The dive boat had no safety equipment, oxygen, first aid equipment, radio, the "Captain" had no experience in diving or emergency procedures.
The same company took my 14 yr. old son (junior A.W.D.) to 85’, we refused to let him go on dive 2 good thing because they went to 120’ and, well exceeded no deco limits..... scary...

I don’t know who to report this to, they claim they are a PADI, but I highly doubt it...

Sadly the diving was not any cheaper, very poor divers and sites...
Subscribed
Subscribed
Peter-EH-NJ - 3/16/2014 4:42 PM
There are folks out there that TRUST a tourist/remote area dive shop whose certification has not been verified. What dah? They really want to dive in that location without getting a reference of the dive shop from their local contacts. Hmmm, not a good idea. Risky, and dangerous!!! To boot, putting their family into jeopardy!!! Stop It, please!!!

Plmr747 you did good to call off the second dive. Nice!!!

Ground zero (to me) get a relationship started with a dive shop that has a few Senior Divers, and visit them during off hours, over a cup of coffee. Talk to them about where you want to travel. Even if they are not going to sell you a ticket, they may offer some "goodwill" advice. They can point you in the right direction.

Dive shops really want your customer loyalty, and will give you good, safe directions as to your diving trips. Eventually, you will book with them. And, by all means, be careful.
Subscribed
Plmr747 - 3/16/2014 5:43 PM
Hi
Thanks for the great feedback !
Diving seems to be a constant learning journey, thank goodness for good divers and forums like Divebuddy to keep the education going... The dive shop and dive masters were so much worse than I could have ever imagined. We researched the dive shop (obviously not well enough) talked to the manager, they talked a great story. Good lesson and we will be much more discriminating next time.
Thanks again for your feedback!
As per the many requests it was ScubaLibre located at the Grand Paradise Samana Dominican Republic.
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 3/18/2014 7:42 AM
WOW! That operator is a train wreck looking for a place to happen. Kudos to you for calling the second dive.
Scott_R - 7/27/2018 2:08 PM
Did you happen to look them up on the locator?

locator.padi.com/?lang=en