Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Trash Fest - Does your local area organize underwater cleanups?
Greg - 2/25/2014 9:13 AM
Category: General
Replies: 6

The Trash Fest in Texas ended in 2012 due to new regulations on the Comal River. What other underwater cleanup events are out there? Does your local area organize annual events to clean a river, lake or ocean?
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/25/2014 12:54 PM
diverstwo.com/ in Avon NJ does one at L Street Beach divebuddy.com/divesite.aspx?DiveSiteID=2904 on the Shark River in October and it’s the only time you get to explore in front of the fishing pier :)

Long Island Diving Association has one in NY but the location moves.
Subscribed
rashley - 2/26/2014 6:10 PM
Greg, what were the new regulations the prevented trashfest from going on? Just curious.
Subscribed
Greg - 2/26/2014 7:41 PM
From rashley: Greg, what were the new regulations the prevented trashfest from going on? Just curious.
They changed what is allowed on the river when tubing. No more cans or plastic water bottles. You have to use these special containers. And cops are everywhere...they will stop you and give you a ticket if you have cans or throw something in the river.
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/27/2014 5:55 AM
From Greg: They changed what is allowed on the river when tubing. No more cans or plastic water bottles. You have to use these special containers. And cops are everywhere...they will stop you and give you a ticket if you have cans or throw something in the river.

That makes more sense, from what you originally said I thought they had banned diving.

I did a clean-up dive under the Commercial Street pier in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea while it was closed for repairs but the organizer hadn’t gotten permission from the Florida Marine Police and an officer was trying to grab my flag and haul me to the surface :(

This was taken the first day of the clean-up, it’s DB member wreckwench and someone else.

SeaWitch - 4/22/2014 10:29 AM
Chicago does one at the end of the summer in the harbors. Funny how no one that actually owns a boat in the harbor participates in it. It should be a requirement, it’s their trash.