Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Now this is ice diving!
LatitudeAdjustment - 2/06/2014 8:00 AM
Category: Free Diving
Replies: 4

28 degree water and sub zero air but with me being a WWW (Warm Water Wuss) this will never happen :(

Whole story

Extreme freedivers in the White Sea off the coast of northwest Russian, show just how far they are willing to push themselves, when they braved freezing temperatures to take a dip with Beluga whales.

The daredevils and their new pals were photographed by Ukranian photographer Andrey Nekrasov, who dove beneath the frigid layers of snow and ice himself to get the stunning shots.

Every year hardy adventurers head to the Arctic Circle for a chance to swim with the aquatic mammals, which are also known as white whales, braving water temperatures of 28 degrees Fahrenheit and lower.

As chilly as that sounds, things are even worse out of the ocean, where air temperatures can drop to sub-zero levels.

daz88 - 2/06/2014 8:34 PM
another thing I’m pretty sure I’ll never be doing. It would be very cool, but the damn cold would out weigh the pretty cool. ;)
Eric_R - 2/06/2014 9:16 PM
That would be totally cool! I wish I could get the time off to go do that.
Subscribed
lerpy - 2/07/2014 6:26 AM
In this months Diver mag there is an article about a similar trip here in Canada to dive with Beluga’s in northern Manatoba. It is now on the bucket list of things to do. Would be an amazing experience.
Subscribed
rashley - 2/11/2014 11:07 PM
I get cold when the hot water starts to run low in the shower. Just thinking about it is making me cold.