Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Total Knee Replacement and Diving
UWnewbee - 12/30/2013 11:04 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 14

I’m Awaiting a date on a TKR (total knee replacement). Any Divers that have been through this already, what are the in’s and outs? has this effected your diving for the better or worse? cause honestly I’m NOT giving up this sport yet!!
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 12/30/2013 11:11 PM
and also, how long before you started diving after your surgery? cause im pretty much walking into this blind and im not too sure what to expect, so any input will be greatly appreciated and i do understand that we are not doctors and i wont be using any input as doctors orders, just tryin to get a feel and a direction. Thanks
Subscribed
lerpy - 12/31/2013 9:22 AM
Hey Dana, although she is not a diver my mom ( age 67) had this done last year. Hospital overnight and was up walking the next day. Within a couple of weeks, other than some tenderness from the incision and she indicated a feeling of some stiffness, she was basically back to normal. She did about a week of physio and then just made sure she was doing the exercises she was shown. She says it was the best thing she had done and will be having her other knee done soon. The biggest thing she found is they want you up on it and walking ASAP which made her nervous at first but, ( just the nervousness of just having surgery and having a metal knee was a new) but as I say she was surprised how fast she jumped back. Stairs were a little difficult at first. Mom has a exercise bike, and that helped as well with getting full movement back. The only draw back is she is always pulled aside for pat downs at the airport.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 12/31/2013 7:25 PM
Thanks Matt!
Eric_R - 1/03/2014 8:28 AM
I have a few friends that have had knees and hips done. Their not divers but they felt better then before the surgery just days after. Are you planned for outpatient or do you get to enjoy a day of dinning services.
Subscribed
zen - 1/06/2014 6:33 PM
I’m an avid diver (age 60 ) and still do lots of beach diving in Florida - we do 1 mile swim outs - dive at 30 ft. fro 1 1/2 hrs and swim back. I’m being told that I need a hip replacement. I’m devastated!..I haven’t seen a dr. in 10 yr. 25 yr. vegetarian in great shape ..Oh, and I’m also a chicken when it comes to needles and things like that ...please share any information you might know...safe diving...
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/06/2014 9:42 PM
Hi zen,, i can do that, i will be doing my P/T in a rehab,, but so far im sitting and waiting for the insurance approval which we all know they dont like to pay out, its sad! ive so far heard that they get you on your feet after surgery, i talked with someone that had the same surgery, they had him up an walkin with a walker 2 1/2 hours after surgery
Subscribed
zen - 1/07/2014 7:38 AM
That’s exactly what I’ve heard , however I have a friend who had a hip replacement and said it was the worst decision she ever made and she’s in the same amount of pain as before...I ’m exercising continually as I usually do and going to PT and following the Peter Egoscue Method...I have no intentions of giving up diving either and we dive 3 and 4 times a week in Florida. Thanks for your response.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/08/2014 9:34 PM
Update, Insurance has approved, next step CAT Scan on Jan. 13th
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/08/2014 9:48 PM
Zen I have a Family member that had a hip replacement done, he was a nervous wreck prior to the surgery as never having any surgery ever, States that it the best thing that hes done and is now back to work and everyday normal activities with no problems. I know 1 that had a TKR and he said that just after he got it done he was regretting it due to the post-op pain, but after 30 days and everyday after he’s said that it gets better every day and does not regret doing the surgery,, from what ive been told, you gotta keep moving it!
Subscribed
zen - 1/09/2014 7:44 AM
I keep moving all the time however , I’m not as active as I usually am. I have talked to others who had the same "good" experience as well. I’m researching and working w/ a PT and praying I may have torn my Labrum or have an impingement. I go for MRIs on Jan. 13th so I’ll be rooting for you as well. I was reading about the importance of CAT Scans and magnetic resonance imaging to get a proper diagnosis. I’m more frightened than I’ve ever been with this as I don’t usually go to Drs. - 25 yr. vegetarian- body builder...not to mention, the worst part - an absence from diving!!..I so appreciate your responses and good luck on Monday! Marcie
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/13/2014 4:13 PM
I got the date for my knee surgery,, Feb 10th
Subscribed
zen - 1/13/2014 5:40 PM
just had the MRIs done this morning so waiting for the news..keep me posted on your progress.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/13/2014 6:23 PM
well i went to do the cat scan today but due to the damage in the knee and not being able to straighten it out completely they could not do the cat scan, and the cat scan was supposed to be used to make the knee, but since this failed they will be using a different type of knee
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/13/2014 6:25 PM
zen, keep me posted as well, im sure that as soon as they view the results the ball will start rolling as it did for me