Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Florida Keys Wrecks
Jen-Michael - 2/25/2008 5:56 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 5

I`m planning a trip down to Key Largo for five days, mostly to dive the Spiegel Grove, but I also want to dive a few other area wrecks. Any one have any recommendations on other wrecks? charter boats? dive shops to rents tanks, weights, fins? I haven`t even planned the Spiegel Grove half of the trip so any information would be good. Oh and I`m taking my old fart of a dad, who only dives singles, so if you could give me interesting wrecks 100ft or shallower that`d be great.
ReefHound - 2/25/2008 7:03 PM
Lots of good wrecks to dive in the Keys. In Key Largo you have the the Spiegel Grove, the Duane (my fave), and the Eagle. In Marathon you have the Thunderbolt.

The Benwood is also in Key Largo and runs about 40 - 60 feet. Even on the Spiegel, the down line ties in at 65 feet and there is plenty of structure above 100 feet.

For charter, my fave in Key Largo is Blue Water Divers. They carry about 10 divers and will let you do back to back dives on the wrecks. If conditions permit, you can even do the Spiegel as a drift dive. My fave in Tavernier is Conch Republic.
Subscribed
Jen-Michael - 2/25/2008 10:24 PM
I`ve been thinking about going through Silent World Dive center ( www.silentworldkeylargo.com ) Any feedback on them? They have pretty good rates, and rent the stuff I`m not dragging down with me.
IBDiver - 2/26/2008 12:49 PM
When are you going? I`ll be there 3/7-3/10. Maybe we can hook-up? Scott
Subscribed
Jen-Michael - 2/26/2008 10:13 PM
The 20th through the 24th of March.