Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dry mouth
floridaray33 - 9/26/2013 12:57 PM
Category: General
Replies: 22

Does anyone know of a way to fight the annoying dry mouth that comes with breathing air underwater? I’ve taken bottles of water under with me but it’s tricky to take a drink underwater.
Subscribed
PVK - 9/26/2013 1:03 PM
In fresh water i just take my reg out and swish water around in my mouth and spit it back out. Dont drink to much beer the nite before lol.
Rich-D-Fish - 9/26/2013 2:51 PM
You just get used to it. And if you happen to use a sea sick patch like I do the dryness is even magnified X2!
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/26/2013 4:06 PM
If you own your own reg assembly, you could add a
Bio-Filter Regulator Moisture System to it:

Apollo announces the new bio-filter for all scuba diving
regulators The Bio-Filter assures clean, moisturized air
for comfortable and safe diving Scuba divers everywhere
can enjoy the benefits of this bio-filter by simply
fitting it to any existing regulator

Many divers are not aware of the difference between
compressed tank air and air they breathe on the surface
Compressed tank air is dry (0 1% humidity) and this can
cause severe discomfort, dry throat, or ’cotton mouth ’
More seriously, dry air dries lung tissue and increases
the risk of decompression sickness Other benefits include
easier pressure equalization, reduced post-dive headaches,
increased bottom time, and reduced general fatigue

For scuba diving, it is granted that the supply of ample
air comes first, but no less crucial is the quality of
air Moisturized air is essential to pulmonary respiration
and for comfortable, safer scuba diving The Bio-Filter
eliminates the problems associated with dry tank air by
replacing 30-70% humidity back into the tank air the
diver breathes It also filters out trace particles of
dust, rust, and odor

The Apollo Bio-Rilter is perfect for all scuba divers
seeking clean, moisturized air - this includes the adventurous
travel diver diving in locations where purity with air fills is
questionable or the weekend diver who seeks comfort and
additional safety.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/26/2013 4:07 PM
Here’s what a Bio-Filter looks like:
DiveBuddyChgo - 9/26/2013 7:24 PM
Stay hydrated and stay away from caffiene,alcohol. Drink plenty of water well before the dive.
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/27/2013 7:30 AM
I keep a bag of those liquid filled cough drops in my dive bag to suck on between drinks and dives, have known divers who suck on one during the dive but a lot of things could go wrong there.

Liveaboards where you dive four or five times a day can really dry you out! Drink more and soda doesn’t count!
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/27/2013 7:44 AM
From RockRat2008: How about a personal review of it from your experience instead of just cutting and pasting a clip from there website?
Ok RockRat, here’s my ’PERSONAL’ experience with a Bio-Filter:
PERSONALLY, I’ve never used one, so I can’t give you that type of review of it, but I have PERSONALLY dove with a couple of divers that have used them, and they said that it worked and they PERSONALLY liked it. But what I do PERSONALLY to address the dry mouth is to just suck on a Jolly Rancher after the dive, and during the dive I just tough it out, but that’s just me, PERSONALLY! ;^) ...LOL
RockRat2008 - 9/27/2013 7:49 AM
While I can admire the sarcasm in your review PERSONALLY, I also PERSONALLY like that response a lot better.

As I said, anyone can cut and paste an advertisement that makes grand claims and most don’t live up to it.

Saying "I have dove with friends that use this product and claim that it works great" goes a whole lot farther than just a generic response like the one you first supplied.

Personally, I drink about a gallon of water every day, have water and gatorade waiting for me after every dive in a small cooler and have never had a problem that a quick pull the regulator out and swish couldn’t solve mid dive. :-)
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/27/2013 7:55 AM
From RockRat2008: While I can admire the sarcasm in your review PERSONALLY, I also PERSONALLY like that response a lot better.
Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic, I was just trying to lighten up the discussion with a little PERSONAL humor, no disrespect was intended!

From RockRat2008: As I said, anyone can cut and paste an advertisement that makes grand claims and most don’t live up to it.
Hey, she was just asking about ways to deal with the dry mouth issue, and this is an option. Now that it’s been presented in this forum, it can be discussed to determine the validity/value of using this device.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/27/2013 7:57 AM
From Aikidiver: Hey, she was just asking...
Ooosp! Sorry Ray about the ’she’, I meant ’he’!!
RockRat2008 - 9/27/2013 8:02 AM
From Aikidiver: Hey, she was just asking about ways to deal with the dry mouth issue, and this is an option. Now that it’s been presented in this forum, it can be discussed to determine the validity/value of using this device.

That was kind of the point of my original question to you. If not a single person has ever used it then it is impossible to speak to the validity/value of it. All we have to base the discussion on is the claims that they make on their website, which are obviously slanted to encourage you to buy their product.

I can’t say it is a valid product, or that it is a good value, if I have never even seen it, much less used it. Since you know divers who have used it, at least you can speak to actual experience from divers who have used it under water.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/27/2013 8:19 AM
From RockRat2008: That was kind of the point of my original question to you. If not a single person has ever used it then it is impossible to speak to the validity/value of it.
Gotcha! I’ll be more careful when I suggest a device that I haven’t actually used, I’ll say something like: "Has anybody viewing this post used this device? It so, please elaborate ..." That way there won’t be any assumption that I’m endorsing this device in any way, that I’m just introducing it into the discussion to find somebody who will endorse or debunk it.
RockRat2008 - 9/27/2013 8:39 AM
At $200 for the filter and then $50 for the filter replacement kit it certainly isn’t a cheap solution. :-)

On leisurepro.com it did seem to have good reviews, I’ll stick with my water and gatorade though. hehe
Eric_R - 9/27/2013 4:01 PM
I would agree. Little expensive for something you can minimize by being prepared and well hydrated before the dive. I could see this for divers doing extended dives on a shallow archeology site.
Subscribed
MajorDiver - 9/29/2013 8:08 AM
I use to get dry mouth while working in a public aquarium. We would be under water for two hours. I had to use my saliva between breaths to keep my mouth from being dry.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 9/30/2013 9:00 AM
Personally!! this is supposed to be a forum of our opinions to find out ideas,theory’s,answers and this can help some of our newer divers as well, as a mod on this site ive seen that some of these answers/feedback seem to be a start of a duel and last i like to see is bickering over a general topic that all have the chance to voice an opinion in a nice way!!!
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 9/30/2013 9:07 AM
so, in the end,, did this member/diver really get his question answered???
RockRat2008 - 9/30/2013 9:15 AM
Reading back over the forum I think there were suggestions made (there is no single "answer" for the question):

-Stay hydrated pre dive

-Bring liquid cough drops/hard candy such as jolly ranchers for between dives

-Bring water and/or gatorade for between dives ... stay hydrated

-Take your reg out underwater and rinse your mouth

-Buy a $200 piece of equipment that no one has any personal experience with
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 9/30/2013 9:54 AM
suggestion.. take the $200 piece of equipment and put it into the Equipment forum and deliberate away, thus leaving this topic open for what it was originally intended for
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 10/03/2013 4:52 PM
Thanks for the idea Aikidiver....