Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Classic regs vs modern?
BlueGil - 7/01/2013 7:38 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

Watching Sea Hunt with Loyd Bridges I noticed the regulators of back then were mounted on the tank valve and not held in the mouth.So when you breathed the air bubbles were expelled behind you at the tank and not in front of your face.My question is why did they change and who else thinks not having bubbles in your face would be better?
Eric_R - 7/01/2013 8:04 AM
I think the old regs had issues with divers position in the water.
Subscribed
ScubaSteve63 - 7/01/2013 8:42 AM
With the pressure regulator mounted on the tank if you are face down you had to pull harder to get air. If you were face up the reg would free flow.
Subscribed
Greg - 7/01/2013 9:26 AM
What about a regulator with a "bubble deflector"? Something that forces the bubbles away from your face a bit better. The Aqua Lung Kronos did this: http://www.aqualung.com/uk/content/view/43/
Subscribed
Greg - 7/01/2013 9:27 AM
Or the Atomic wide exhaust deflector kit: http://www.scubagearplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ATO.02-008x-3P
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/01/2013 11:14 AM
Going back to the SeaHunt era BC’s didn’t have power inflators, my old Conshelf didn’t even have an extra low presure port to add one. To add air you took the reg out of your mouth, unscrewed the BC inflator hose, many used lifejacket valves, added air, closed valve and put reg back in mouth usually getting a mouthful of saltwater. To get the saltwater out of the breathing side (the side Jeff never cut) of the double hose reg you did a slow barrel roll to move the water to the exhaust port.

After doing that a few times some Aussie had a better idea and came up with the single hose reg but the down side was the bubbles in the face.

Some Swede came up with the side port to deal with the bubbles. My Oceanic Omega keeps the bubbles out of my face but breathes wet when looking to the left, every design has a downside :(
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/08/2013 5:43 AM
Now this is classic gear
Subscribed
BlueGil - 7/09/2013 2:51 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I guess I’m just hooked on old school style.
Subscribed
BlueGil - 7/15/2013 10:40 AM
Wonder if we could combine the two? Have the reg in your mouth and an exhaust tube going to the tank hooked to a dry valve like on the top of a snorkel. Hmmm. lol