Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Georgetown, Tx - Blue Hole? Lake Georgetown?
badintexas - 6/03/2013 1:39 PM
Category: General
Replies: 1

Has anyone ever been to Georgetown, Tx to dive in Lake Georgetown or something that I’ve heard about called Blue Hole? I didn’t know if either were worth diving? Any comments, ideas or photos that you can provide?
Thanks in advance!!
Subscribed
ScubaDiverEric - 6/03/2013 6:37 PM
Depends on what you like in a dive. I dive the lakes just to keep in practice & for scavenger hunting. Usually come up with anchor, fishing pole, or something interesting. That said Blue Hole is a swimming spot on the San Gabriel river in downtown Georgetown. Was popular in years past when you could jump from cliffs & if lucky not hit a rock & break your neck. That side of water is now posted no trespassing. If caught you will get a citation. It’s basically a mud hole & not a place to dive. I have done 10-12 dives in Lake Georgetown but it’s been a couple years. You can access from Overlook Park which is free but limited parking. Also a good walk to the water from there. I have walked in from shore at Cedar Breaks Park which is right on the water and did a few dives off my boat in that general area. Most of the shoreline around Overlook area is rocky & stays like that to about 30-35’ After that it gets DARK & lots of silt & trees. Never went below 40’ as that’s my personal rule on solo dives, which these were. Vis was actually pretty good I thought for a TX lake. 10-20’ but at times it got where I could barely see my gauges. If I get a chance I’ll try to jump in again & give some better info. Stillhouse Hollow Lake in Belton, TX is nice & has a dive shop at the marina. There are 2 dive area’s with platforms, boats, etc.