Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Scuba Diving Books - Any Recommendations?
badintexas - 4/22/2013 9:28 AM
Category: Books & Videos
Replies: 10

Have you read a great book (fiction or non) that you think others should read?
I haven’t read it but a friend told me about Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. I think Greg and I may read it soon.
dalehall - 4/22/2013 9:36 AM
Shadow Divers is an excellent read. After you finish it, move straight to "The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury. It’s a book about a father and son team (Chris and Chrissy Rouse) that are part of the Chatterton/Kohler team during the u-boat dives.
Airworks - 4/22/2013 11:04 AM
I second the Shadow Divers recommendation. It is one of the most compelling, edge-of-your-seat non-fiction reads ever.
Subscribed
zielit - 4/22/2013 12:49 PM
First or one of the first books about diving and underwater world. Twenty thousand leagues under the sea by Jules Verne. I even added a little quote from it to my profile recently.

"Ah, monsieur, to live in the bosom of the sea! .... There I recognize no master! There I am free!" - Captain Nemo (Jules Verne)
tardmaster - 4/22/2013 12:57 PM
I’m going to 3rd shadow divers and 2nd the last dive. i’ll thro in another "Dive into darkness". true story of two cave dives who went to recover a body close to 900 feet deep. one did not survive the trip. There is a you-tube video of the dive as well.
tardmaster - 4/22/2013 12:59 PM
lol....omg.....excuse the typos.
dalehall - 4/23/2013 4:26 AM
I saw the video of that Jerry. Pretty creepy. I haven’t read the book though. I’ll look for that one this weekend.. Thanks..
tazzer9797 - 4/23/2013 10:00 AM
2 other books you might want to read are...DEEP DESCENT and another called DARK DESCENT. I also totally agree with SHADOW DIVER and LAST DIVE
Subscribed
badintexas - 4/24/2013 10:22 AM
Awesome ya’ll! Thanks so much! I’ve been wanting to get our family a little library of diving books and this will be a great start!
Subscribed
ginovega - 4/24/2013 1:50 PM
ginovega - 1/31/2013 5:41 AM

LikeQuote

I would suggest as a start by reading this book "The Complete Diving Guide The Caribbean" Volume three by Colleen Ryan and Brian Savage. this volume covers PR, US VI and BVI. You can get the PR ( Including the Spanish Virgin island - Vieques and Culebra) only chapters in Kindle version from Amazon or in PDF version from the vendor at www.caribdiveguide.com . Eventhough this book was published in 1998 it will be a great start to undestand diving in PR. (Some info in outdated but as I said is a great start)
Subscribed
PaulMila - 11/26/2016 4:11 PM
Hi Dive Buddies — I’m an author who has written 4 dive adventure novels: Dangerous Waters, Whales’ Angels, Fireworks, and Near Miss.
Also have written a non-fiction book called Bubbles Up, and a basic underwater photography manual.
And just this month published a children’s book (ages 4-8) called Harry Hawksbill Helps His friends.

For more information visit my website, milabooks.com
You can also contact me at paul@paulmila.com
Cheers!
Paul