Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

How to switch from a high paying job to a job you enjoy
Anonymous - 1/31/2013 7:29 AM
Category: Anonymous
Replies: 14

My question is simple, but yet very hard to act on. How does someone make the switch from a high paying job, doing what they know...to a lower paying job, doing what they love? Knowing there are people that depend on you for food on the table and a roof overhead.

I love being in and near water. I love scuba diving. I love fishing. I love boating. I love adventure. I get none of those things at my current place of employment. However, I do get a great paycheck, challenges, further education in my professional field, etc. And I can’t say I get none of the things listed first, because my job does afford the means for some travel. But a couple of weeks each year doing what I love never seems to be enough.

Have you or anyone you know made a dramatic lifestyle change like this? How did you convince yourself that it needed to be done? Did you wait until you had a certain size pile of cash sitting in the bank? Will doing what you love full-time, eventually turn into a chore also, so why bother? Is the love of being near or underwater so strong for you that it’s helped shape decisions in your life?
Anonymous - 1/31/2013 7:35 AM
Just do it! Life is too short and too unpredictable to not take chances. You don’t want to regret anything later on.
Anonymous - 1/31/2013 7:53 AM
What do you do for your high paid high boredom job?

The fundamental’s of business management and leadership all require the same skill set, you just know how to take the skills you have from your current job and apply them to the industry you love.

I’ve done it. It was hard work but determination and passion will get you where you want to be.
Anonymous - 1/31/2013 8:49 AM
I am a computer techie. But I understand what you’re saying. Any professional job requires skills that can be crossed over to any occupation. What did you do before and what are you doing now?
Anonymous - 1/31/2013 9:46 AM
I know a lawyer who went to Coz and ended up opening a dive op there, the con is she only gets to dive Coz. If you are in the business you can’t travel :(

I know someone in the health field who moved from SoCal to Florida, warmer water, more divesite choices, lower cost of living but lower pay to.

I had a chance to take my job to PR but then I still had kids in school and parents to take care of and had to pass on it :(

My son is a computer techie in Florida and did work from home until they made him lead programer.
Anonymous - 1/31/2013 2:46 PM
I took a pretty good pay cut when I switched to my current job but I got to trade Oklahoma for the Florida panhandle and I can pretty much dive anytime the weather cooperates. It’s more quantity than quality diving but I’ll take it. Although when compared to diving in muddy, manmade lakes in OK the quality is pretty terrific. I no longer have to hold hands with my buddies just to know where they are! (Yes, I’ve been diving in such poor vis I couldn’t see my elbows.)

If you have a family to support, I guess you probably should discuss everyone’s financial priorities and needs and compare that to the cost of living somewhere nearer to the ocean.

As a single, I really could move wherever I like but I don’t want to be a brokea$$ dive bum. I still like to pay my rent, travel and buy new dive equipment when I need it. It always comes down to balance.
Anonymous - 2/01/2013 9:03 AM
In this economy??? If you were single with no responsibilities, fine. If there were no kids involved and your wife was good with it, fine. When you had kids you traded those options for responsibility. Sorry if I’m old fashioned. I had the same choices, kept working for the money, am now retired with enough to travel and do what I want, when I want and plenty of time in which to do it. It might not be the easest thing but it is the right thing....
Very valid point. I just hope I don’t have to work until I’m old and can’t enjoy my retirement.
Anonymous - 2/02/2013 11:19 AM
Even being single, I still feel the need to be responsible/maintain a self sufficient lifestyle so here is my 10 step plan for losing the good paying job and enjoying life a lot more by the end of 2015. I plan to in the winter of 2015 make the permanent move to the Florida keys following a defined savings/cost-cutting plan I started in 2010. Still got some saving to do and some mortgage payments to make but come hell or high water (hopefully not high water!) I will be living full time in the Florida keys by October of 2015 while I am still young enough to enjoy it!! Step 1: get the Keys house (done) Step 2: visit and fix up the house and dive/fish when its possible. (work in progress) Step 3: keep on saving and paying the mortgages (work in progress) Step 4: fix up and rent out my current home.(just starting this one) Step 5: sell most of my useless junk that clutters up my current house. Step 6: September/October 2015 make the move to Florida and use up all my remaining paid time off from work and then resign my position. Step 7:Buy a newer recreational center console fishing boat to park out back in the canal. Step 8: Find a job I where I will actually enjoy working!!! Step 9: if Step 8 Doesn’t work out/ I run low on moola I take a job working from home as a help desk analyst and go boating and diving as much as the weather will allow!!! Step 10: as the saying goes, LIFE IS GOOD
Anonymous - 2/02/2013 3:24 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Except I want to go from Ca to Hi. But, the plan seems solid. I agree you only live once.
Anonymous - 2/03/2013 2:34 PM
What does a help desk analyst working from home earn? What companies hire these positions? Sounds like you’ve got it all planned out. Writing it all down like that is definitely helpful.
Anonymous - 5/18/2013 5:15 PM
one word DIVORCE.

Other wise she will just knife you in your sleep for leaving that high paying job.
Anonymous - 9/13/2013 3:04 PM
...so ends another LoooOOOoonnnng week sitting in a cubicle! ...I wish I had the stones to that switch myself! ...just can’t shake off these golden handcuffs right now! ...someday!!! ...someday!!!
Anonymous - 12/07/2013 9:31 AM
I would rather have a happy poor parents, than unhappy wealthy parents.
Anonymous - 7/31/2014 4:15 PM
Pick a dive local to run your op out of that is in the center of a system of islands, not just one plopped down all by its lonesome. Then you will be 30 minutes from everywhere.