Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Which Dive Flag?
Green_Achers - 12/23/2012 8:13 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 8

OK, This is my only stupid new diver question (at least the only one I’ll post)...

There are two different dive flags - The North America (Red with White stripe) and the International Alpha (White with Blue swallow tailed).

The dive buoy that I have came with an Alpha Flag but I’ll only use it in California. Is the Alpha proper for the area and if so, is it effective (i.e. people understand we’re diving)?
Subscribed
Green_Achers - 12/23/2012 8:41 PM
Thank you. I guess I have a wall hanger then. LOL

I just found this nice write up which agrees with you. Dive Flag Laws Examined.
Greg - 12/23/2012 9:08 PM
Try to find a red and white flag with the words "divers below". I’ve seen those before. That way even boaters that don’t know the design can hopefully still read.
RAWalker - 12/24/2012 1:11 AM
Boaters on inland waterways are clueless to the Alpha flag but coastal boaters should know and use both flags to be compliant and safe.

Inland you are lucky if the boater are aware of how to read any buoy, flag or marker.
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/24/2012 6:11 AM
Some states are putting up signs at boat ramps warning boaters to stay so many feet depending on the states law away from the flag, all are showing the red and white divers below flag, none I’ve seen show the Alpha flag.
Subscribed
Green_Achers - 12/24/2012 10:44 AM
I know I said I would only ask one new guy question, but you’ve got me wondering now. Why would so many different laws exist? Could the lack of input leave each State floundering and forced to write laws on their own?

Maybe Divers should establish rules (remembering it must be accepted by boaters) and promote it as the Standard for every State? As I understand it, Florida Laws are the most thorough so maybe that would be a good place to start.
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/24/2012 1:44 PM
From Green_Achers: I know I said I would only ask one new guy question, but you’ve got me wondering now. Why would so many different laws exist? Could the lack of input leave each State floundering and forced to write laws on their own? Maybe Divers should establish rules (remembering it must be accepted by boaters) and promote it as the Standard for every State? As I understand it, Florida Laws are the most thorough so maybe that would be a good place to start....

Well the states rarely agree on anything, car inspection standards, emissions, rear defroster. Some NJ lawmakers wanted dogs to wear seatbelts, others it’s okay for your kids to ride in the back of the pickup! Some states require you to give bikes 36" when passing. Building codes are a mess. Some states set distance a boater can pass from a divers flag because the USCG didn’t.

Same reason we have PADI/NAUI/GUE C-cards, the dive industry stepped in and set standards because we didn’t want each state to make it’s own laws, then we would run into you can’t dive in Florida because your Idaho c-card doesn’t have high enough standards.

We already have that with boater licenses, don’t come to the Jersey shore and expect to rent a boat if you don’t have a state license from somewhere, no license then you need to extend your vacation a few days and take the class which does very briefly mention what that red and white flag means and how far you must stay from it.