Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Hyperbaric Chamber
Eric_R - 12/11/2012 9:33 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 5

My local Dive shop SASS Has taken over operations of the Hyperbaric Chamber at Bronson hospital. They offer drive dives during the fall and winter. It’s an educational event where you can interact with other divers. There’s always plenty of objects taken to depth to see how pressure affects them. It’s also a great opportunity to see if you easily get narced. Has anybody else been in a chamber by choice instead of necessity?
Subscribed
Greg - 12/12/2012 7:27 PM
Chamber by choice? Sounds interesting. I assume you meant "dry dives" not "drive dives"?

I have never been in a hyperbaric chamber at all.
DiveBuddyChgo - 12/13/2012 6:47 PM
A lot of dive shops and dive clubs do chamber dives every year. I have learned that there is a lot more that the chamber does for all types of medical problems. Some patients do time every week like a weekly perscription. I am sure there is a lot to learn about treatment therapy. Very few divers ever get bent. 80% of them never deserved the hit. There are no diving skills involved in the chamber or a commercial jet.
Subscribed
Eric_R - 12/13/2012 7:09 PM
When your in a Hyperbaric chamber some of the most important diving skills are used. Clearing your ears and following dive tables.
Subscribed
Greg - 12/14/2012 6:08 AM
And if they added an aquarium you could get your fish identification cert, plus if higher concentration of Oxygen is used you could get Nitrox certified :). Bring some equipment in with you and you can practice for your equipment certification. And if they take you to high enough pressure, you can feel the effects of being narked. Actually, the last one is not a bad idea...would they do that? It would be safer way to gain practical experience in Nitrogen Narcosis.
divershaun - 12/31/2012 2:17 AM
been in a chamber many times by choice and its a really awesome experience. i would say to do it for sure. question them as much as you can on dive medicine. its always a great subject to learn more about. Plus you can get down there and see how different your voice is. Some people it doesnt effect at all, but i know for me, when am at 60fsw in the chamber i can totally hear the difference. went down to 135fsw in one and it was pretty funny listening to myself talk.