Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Thailand
kmasilamani - 11/09/2012 11:25 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 14

I want to go diving in Phuket - Looking for some feed back from any member who may have visited Thailand in the last 2 years, who could help. I will be flying into Bangkok for 6 days. Don’t want to make it all about diving, some tour / sites would also be helpful - Thanks
daz88 - 11/09/2012 11:41 AM
Good luck! :) I’m made 3 trips to Thailand this year (a total of 3 1/2 months) and haven’t made it into the water for diving yet. A big part of it I was working a lot so couldn’t.....but the rest of it I was just playing too much. :) Thailand is a fun place, with some very friendly people. I’ll be heading back in 2 weeks. this time my dive gear will get wet!!! If you are there for 6 days you will be busy. Pkuket is not close to Bangkok, you will need to catch a flight there or a looooong road trip.
Subscribed
kmasilamani - 11/09/2012 11:48 AM
From daz88: Good luck! :) I’m made 3 trips to Thailand this year (a total of 3 1/2 months) and haven’t made it into the water for diving yet. A big part of it I was working a lot so couldn’t.....but the rest of it I was just playing too much. :) Thailand is a fun place, with some very friendly people. I’ll be heading back in 2 weeks. this time my dive gear will get wet!!! If you are there for 6 days you will be busy. Pkuket is not close to Bangkok, you will need to catch a flight there or a looo...
Thanks , Any recommendation on Hotels in Bangkok? If you plan to dive have you selected a dive site? Flying in with the Mrs, (none diver) so my diving has to be kept to 50% of the fun. I have seen some fun stuff to do in Phuket that she may enjoy top side.
Subscribed
Slim - 11/20/2012 6:51 AM
When are you planning your trip? I have been to Thailand four or five times. I dove Phuket and Pattaya. Usually one day partying and one day diving. Lots of family type stuff to do also.

I have a good friend who owns a hotel in Phuket.
Subscribed
kmasilamani - 11/20/2012 8:12 AM
Slim, I will be in Phuket Jan 6th to the 10th - I have not confirmed any hotel reservations as yet, but I am working with Easy Day Thailand on some options. I know it is peak season over there, so don’t want to miss any opportunities. I am planning on two full days of diving (6) and one day to do fun stuff topside with the Mrs, who is a none diver!
Subscribed
Slim - 11/20/2012 12:55 PM
Gotcha, when I get back home I’ll send you some info. I did three day trips while I was there. I did Phi Phi Islands. Each dive was better than the preceding one. On the last trip we saw a whale shark on the last dive of the day. Only my group of four divers plus the guide saw it. There was about 15 divers on the boat.

I stayed in a hotel right next to a dive shop so I just walked two doors down with my gear and they take you out to the port. The boats are pretty big but SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

I’ll try to get in touch with my buddy who owns the hotel. He’s working in Kuwait right now. He’ll have a good deal if he’s not booked, he’s Thai-American.
Subscribed
kmasilamani - 11/20/2012 12:59 PM
Thanks Slim, Appreciate it! I will look forward to your replay when you get back.
Subscribed
Slim - 11/21/2012 5:36 AM
Shoot him an email. He will be in Thai from Xmas until Jan 8th. We call him Swat, sawasdih@yahoo.com

Tell him Paul recommended you (Slim is my family nickname) . He has a condo on the beach also.
Subscribed
Slim - 11/21/2012 9:55 AM
I used Dive Asia for my trips. Their website http://www.diveasia.com. I did six dives with them. They make a video of the whole trip so you can have some memories. The video guy was not part of our group so he missed the whale shark.

Keep me posted on the hook up with Swat.
Subscribed
kmasilamani - 11/21/2012 10:23 AM
Thank you, you have been very helpful , I will be sure to share my experience and dive Photo’s with DB
Subscribed
kmasilamani - 12/02/2012 6:17 AM
Slim, I received a response from Swat, this morning . His Hotels are booked, but has a condor that I can use. So I am going to take him up on that offer, He has also giving me a great price, thanks to a "friends" discount. I explained to Swat, that we have not met in person , but have communicated via this forum.
Subscribed
kmasilamani - 1/18/2013 4:30 AM
I am back from my trip to Phuket, Met with SAWT, he was a wonderful host, He made room so we can stay at his villa for the 3 nights. My dive experience was very disappointing . Phi Phi island was a bust!. I had a Gopro camera with me and video taped all my dives , and looking back, I see no color on the coral, visibility at tops 30 meters. Although we did see a leopard shark, it was at our Safety Stop , and I could not go back down to get him on film. One of the dive buddies on this trip was from the Philippines, and he assured me his county has better sites. Now I am told the Simillian Islands are better, but due to my time limitations in Phuket, I was not able to make that trip.
Subscribed
Slim - 1/26/2013 9:13 PM
Welcome back. Sorry about the video. Hope you still had a good time.
Subscribed
kmasilamani - 1/27/2013 9:51 AM
Thanks Slim, Yes, although the Dive was not to my expectation, spending time with Swat made up for it all, He was an excellent guide, drove around in his scooter, took a tour to all the beaches around the southern tip of Phuket. We also went out clubbing one night. Did I also tell you , that I stopped over in Sri Lanka , (My country of birth) on our way back, and did a couple of wreck dives. Over all I would like to go back again
Subscribed
Slim - 1/27/2013 11:54 AM
Cool, I am making a trip later this year. I’ll be taking my lil bro for his birthday. It will be us guys only. We are leaving the ladies at home. Partying and some diving, we will stay in the Pattaya area. The diving is not the best but that will be secondary on this trip. My bro has to get certified so it will be a dive/cert/party/shopping trip.

No time frame yet.