Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

NAUI VS. PADI
bouy15 - 8/28/2012 4:29 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 15

Im looking to further my diving edu. to rescue diver and eventually to master diver, which agency would be the correct choice? Im already advanced and EANx certified under NAUI.
RAWalker - 8/28/2012 5:33 PM
It doesn’t really matter unless you plan to join the pro ranks and then PADI being the larger organization has more to offer most divers unless the have a job waiting from a operation that is under a different sanctioning body.
Lonefrogman - 8/29/2012 2:15 AM
Its all about the instructor, not the agency.
dalehall - 8/29/2012 5:55 AM
Agreed.. Your instructor choice is much more important than your Sanctioning Body.. I’ve been wit the same instructor from O/W thru my divemaster.. Nice comfort level and I know, because he knows me, he’s not going to let me "slide though."
Eric_R - 8/30/2012 5:39 AM
From Lonefrogman: Its all about the instructor, not the agency....
It’s also about you. Lots of effort in will give lots of reward back.:)
Subscribed
Greg - 8/30/2012 8:05 AM
I’ve also heard that NAUI gives instructors more flexibility in how they want to teach their classes. They give the instructor more power to determine if someone is qualified. Where as PADI is very regimented and requires everyone to go through the same type of training. Is there any truth to that?
lerpy - 8/30/2012 2:23 PM
Greg, I am currently working on my divemaster through a SDI instruction that I do my training with. It certaily appears that NAUI and SDI who I am familiar with give more flexibility in learning, ie if you find something from another agency that is a good instructing tool they are ok with it, however PADI does not allow for this at all, they are much more our way or the highway type approach.

Bouy15 it is really the instructor that you are comfortable with that is the best way to go. The instructor I use can qualify me under SDI, NAUI, or PADI. My open water was PADI as I was down south, my advanced and maintenance course are NAUI, and my Nitrox, Rescue and Divemaster are SDI. If I go on to instructor I may go PADI simply because of the recogniztion world wide and in southern climates where I would ultimately want to instruct, but at the end of the day its the instructor. I have found being able to use the same instructor all the time, and he is also someone I dive with on a regular basis is great. That relationship really helps my advancement and training, and training is made easier in that he dives with me every week so knows my competencies and abilities.
Subscribed
NauiDiver03 - 8/11/2013 9:32 PM
Being trained by NAUI I’m biased but for dang good reason I feel after doing my research that NAUI was and is one of the most respected and trusted certifying agency’s out there. Now I’m not throwing stones I means it’s like arguing, Ford, dodge, Chevy, Chrysler etc. but I know when I took my open water I didn’t know anything about diving and when I was done I was well trained. I have moved up few levels and plan on moving up more with NAUI. I have dove with few other people who are from other agency’s and I can see a difference in training and safety. Now I realize its not fair to judge a whole agency off couple of people I understand that. But my main focus is safety and to be able at the end of the day to go home to my family with out injury. I hope all the other agency’s take the time and knowledge that NAUI puts into their students. Because I love being prepared and when I enter the water I know I have the best training for scuba diving there is. I hope you all feel the same way. And again I’m not bashing any other agency. I love NAUI and am very proud to be member of this Agency!
Subscribed
Campbayresort - 8/17/2013 4:28 PM
There both good..It also depends on what you want out of your training...As a Course Director...I teach through the standers.., not up to them...Dr. Jami Epstein-Course Director..Divepath.com
Subscribed
Campbayresort - 8/17/2013 4:30 PM
Yes that is true...That’s why it’s difficult to become a NAUI INSTRUCTOR...

Dr. Jami Epstein -Course Director Divepath.com
Subscribed
NauiDiver03 - 6/30/2014 2:17 PM
This is Taken off the NAUI Website.

The Organization
The National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI Worldwide) has been teaching the world to dive safely since 1959. As the largest non-profit and most respected dive training and certifying organization in the world, NAUI offers a full range of training programs from Skin Diver through Instructor Course Director, with dozens of specialty courses including Nitrox and Technical diving.

NAUI’s global reputation for the best in training and educational products reflects its core values of quality dive training through education. Many organizations specifically choose NAUI for their diver education programs including Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, United States Navy SEAL Teams and NASA’s Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory in Houston, Texas (USA) where astronauts train for their space walks.

While NAUI has long been respected for having the highest training standards in the recreational diving industry, we are also highly regarded for our Technical Diver Training. Many of our technical developments have been adopted by other agencies; our Technical Diving Division continues to produce new theories and research that keep NAUI on the cutting edge of technical diving.

NAUI Worldwide is a membership organization headquartered in Tampa, Florida (USA) with tens of thousands of member instructors, affiliated stores, resorts, and service centers located in countries throughout the world. With tens of thousands of dive professionals and numerous affiliated dive training centers in nations around the globe, we have over one-third (and growing) of the US market with an even larger market share internationally.

Products and Services
NAUI has earned its reputation as “the most respected diver training and certification organization in the world” by providing consistently excellent products and services, featuring a complete line of award-winning educational systems, recognition items and support materials for every level of recreational and technical scuba diver training and certification

•Award-Winning Training Materials
for core diver courses, leadership and instructor training and dozens of specialties are available and translated in multiple languages, and use several types of media for maximum learning.
•Proven Teaching Methods
– Thorough training is the key to diving enjoyment. We are absolutely dedicated to ensuring you are trained in a program tailored to your specific needs; a NAUI-sanctioned course that incorporates the best blend of time-proven and progressive methods.
•Fun, Interesting Classes
– NAUI training is FUN! NAUI Instructors are taught to teach, not just recite material by rote. NAUI Instructors are professional educators, knowing the best learning conditions are enjoyable conditions.
•Extensive Class Availability
– You can enroll in a class at your local NAUI-Affiliated dive retailer, college or university, with an independent NAUI Instructor at a local swimming pool, or at a NAUI-Affiliated dive resort in a tropical paradise. NAUI’s Try Scuba and Passport Diver programs can have you in the ocean the same day you begin your training!
•Highest Industry Training Standards
– NAUI has the highest training standards of any diver training agency, and more thorough training produces highly competent and competent divers.
•Corporate Alliances
– NAUI has numerous corporate alliances with organizations such as Florida’s Walt Disney World Resort®, The Florida Aquarium, and NASA’s Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory. NAUI divers are recognized Olympic and professional athletes, leaders in the scientific, academic, technical and military communities, the Hollywood film industry and a host of other professional fields around the globe.
•Extensive Field Support
– NAUI has regional offices around the world to assist with training needs and to provide regional field support for our tens of thousands of facilities, professional educators and members.
•Excellent Customer Service
– NAUI’s Customer Service Department is known for its efficient, knowledgeable staff and helpful support. And, our eBusiness Center is open 24/7 for your convenience.
As a dive industry leader, NAUI is deeply dedicated to fulfilling our motto of “Dive Safety Through Education”.

Which ever Organization you chose to go with, just make sure that they take the time to train you the right and safe way. There are many Organizations to chose from, as for me I started with NAUI and I will Finish with NAUI. It is a great group and I feel I am getting the best training out there.
Subscribed
Diver96 - 7/07/2014 5:40 AM
The question that needs to be asked is whether or not there is reciprocity between agencies. If you are looking to get employed as a DM, does PADI recognize a NAUI or SDI DM Cert? From a business standpoint you cannot argue with the size and reach of the PADI organization.

Having taken NAUI and PADI courses, it is the competency of the individual instructor and not the agency that maters. My own approach is to take courses from different agencies. This doesn’t help towards racking up the courses with one agency to become a "Master Diver". It’s cool to have the card but it doesn’t get you anything more than an AOW card would.
Ty
divinggearguide.com