Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Looking for a camera recomendation
LuvinCayman - 1/01/2008 6:45 PM
Category: Photography
Replies: 7

I have a great cybershot, however it`s about the only one that no U/W housing available. Any suggestions, price needs to be a consideration as I am stocking up on new gear...
NWKatShark - 1/01/2008 6:57 PM
If you`re just looking for a basic "kick around" digital, I`d say the Reefmaster DC series.
RAWalker - 1/01/2008 7:27 PM
Intova has a line of budget priced digital cameras that come with dive housings. I`d purchase the highest pixel rated 1 that fits your budget.

They also have a external slave flash that works with virtually any digital or film camera that has a built in flash. It comes with tray, flex arm, underwater housing and accessories and can be found on the internet for about $100 The only thing it doesn`t come with that you`d need to hook it up is it`s fiberoptic trigger cable that runs $10-20.

Intova even makes a set of filters that fit the ports of their camera housings.

Although I don`t have one of the Intova cameras I do have 2 of the flash units. I`m very happy with them they seem to be exactly the same as the Fantasea Nano but priced much less expensive.

The reviews I`ve read of the cameras are good and considered excellent values for the models of 5mp and higher. I`ve seen the 6mp model priced $199 and as I stated that`s with a housing. I just also saw an add for a higher resolution model a few days ago. Some searching and research may be needed.

Good Luck!
Damieon - 1/21/2008 1:46 PM
I have the Sealife DC600.... All I have to say is that it is an awsome cam. Go check it out!
Dorkfish - 1/23/2008 2:41 AM
This is an area where you want to carefully weigh the features of each camera that meets your specific diving photography/video needs. Some cameras have features that you may not want in a dive camera, but desire in a land camera. So the first step is to decide if this new camera will be dedicated to diving or if it will be dual-purpose.

If it is going to be dual purpose, consider your megapixel needs if you are going digital. The mp level makes all the difference when it comes to editing your shots or taking video clips. Sure a 4mp like my Canon Powershot A80 might be fine for some applications, but it is old-technology by today`s standards.

Zoom and macro features are nice to have built-in, BUT some housings do not support external lenses/filters like those dedicated and designed by companies like Sea Life or Sea and Sea. External lenses/filters are another thing to consider for your specific needs. Sure, you may not think you need them now, but you might discover the more you use the unit the more you want/need lenses/filters.

Diver feed-back is important. See what divers have to say about the different units they have used, even if a unit was rented/borrowed for a short time. Of course, some divers are biased to one specific brand or model becuase it has been trust worthy for that specific diver (who might have only used the unit a handfull of times). www.scubaboard.com has a section dedicated to underwater photography and underwater video. Be sure to ask for some feedback there or simply read up.

I have had good luck with a couple of Sony models with housings, the SeaLife mini digital, the Canon Powershot series with housing, and a Sony video package with Ikelite housing. The only unit that gave me any grief was the SeaLife DC300 which worked wonderfully in the freshwater, but flooded the first time in saltwater.
debay(Dee-Bay) - 1/28/2008 6:18 PM
I have the Intova IC 600 which is a 6.0 mp camera with housing. The housing is durable and has two O-rings, where some of the big names only have one. They have a higher mega pixel model now. The flash is next. to the post about the flash -- how do you connect the fiber optic cable? is it just stuck on the outside of the case?
TAdams - 2/03/2008 5:43 AM
I bought the Intova 6mp from antonline.com think it was 186 after shipping and taxes I am truly impressed with this little inexpensive camera the video feature is awesome
debay(Dee-Bay) - 6/09/2008 10:26 PM
these are some pics taken with my intova 6 mp version. the housing is solid and it takes gret pics.

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn126/debay777/