Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Louisville, KY Looking for dive buddies
Jerrod - 7/19/2012 5:26 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 4

I am looking for some dive buddies that want to dive locally (within 3 hour dive or so) and occasionally something far away.

I am going out to Falling Rock in La Grange this Saturday and Sunday (7/21-22) to prepare for a trip to Dale Hollow. Anyone want to join me? The place isn’t that bad since they banned alcohol.

I would love to meet local people or anyone around here. I am fairly new to Louisville.

Thanks,

Jerrod
danBea - 7/21/2012 12:44 PM
Hi Jerrod,
I think we are to far away from you but actually we want to dive in Falling Rock too.
We have never been there so far.It would be great if you can give us a few information about the experiences you made over there.For example how the visibility is or if it is an issue with the people jumping from the cliff.Do they have two separated spots for divers and swimmers to keep everybody safe? Can one fill his tank? If yes how much is that? Are the open the entire weekend? What is the diving fee?
Would be great to get this information.

Thanks in advance

danny and Beate
Subscribed
Jerrod - 7/21/2012 8:17 PM
Hi Danny and Beate,

I took a quick look at your profile, and noticed you guys are advanced and new to KY. I would suggest Pennyroyal in Hopkinsville, which is about three and 1/2 hours from you (S75 to W71 to S65 (2/12 hours from here)). This is nice, because not far is Lincolns birth home and childhood home, as well as a train museum, corvette museum etc... My three year old loves it. Nice area to chill at after the dive.

Another place, that you may want to consider is Dale Hollow Lake (google it). There is a dive shop here that runs trips (75.00 donation) includes 4-5 dives and that will cover 2 nights in a dorm.

As far as falling rock goes, it is very minimal.

The swimmers actually don’t mess up the visibility. I think the problem is because of the divers. For example, today I tagged along with a NAUI OW check out and this young guy hit the floor. the visibility came back after about 3 hours, and all this from just a few fin kicks.

Today was the best I have seen it, I guess because of the rains. Here are my remarks from another site:
Temp to first thermo: 86

Temp at 20 ft: 76

Visibility from surface: 20 ft (could clearly see boat and platforms)

Visibility at 20 ft: 15-25 ft

About 30 people total at park at 4pm. ( That’s down by about 950).

People are not seperated but there are area for staging and I noticed the swimmers are interested and will say hi. Just avoid the one area (you can’t miss it) where people are jumping off the rocks.

There are no tank fills there. The closest place is Paradise Divers on Brownsboro rd. That about 10 miles. Fills there are about $7-10 and I think they are open from 10am-7pm on saturday. closed Sunday.

Hours: I am not sure. I arrived at 8:30am and the staff was there. I am sure they go till dusk. I think the guy that owns it, a bit of an eccentric man, lives there.

The cost for a diver is 15.00 per day. NOTE: you must have exact change or they will keep your change. Also, I think if you leave, you need to pay to come back, so just bring some food to cook out. It is also 18 and over.

I would suggest if you come to make an entire day out of it, two dives, cook out, another two dives, head back up.

There are only port-a-lets and no shows either. Here is video of the place when the news went out to discussing the banning of alcohol. I am the diver on the right when the video shows the two guys diving. http://www.whas11.com/news/Parasite-in-cat-litter-box-increases161149315.html

I am by no means advanced, but if you come down, let me know and I would be glad to join you guys.

Jerrod
Subscribed
Jerrod - 7/21/2012 8:20 PM
I do also want to caution that I have had less that two feet visibility there. So don’t be mad at me if you come down and it’s bad. The local dive shop, called Louisville Diver Center, goes out there several times a week. I suggest calling them a few days before just to see if anyone has been out and has the conditions.
morgan529 - 8/29/2012 6:41 AM
Hi Jerrod!

I live outside of Memphis, so I’m not really close to you. I just moved to the area and don’t know anyone. Apparently there is a minimum 3 hour drive to dive anywhere from here. Let me know if you’re interested in meeting in the middle (or where ever).

Morgan