Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

ID’ing tank
dugefresh - 7/11/2012 9:19 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 7

I know this is going to be vague, but i’m going to post some pictures tomorrow. I recently decided to get my naui open water scuba certifications. I told my grandfather about the decision, and found that he had his certification through naui back in the 60s; and also he still had his old tank, which he gave to me. I’m not sure if it’s a 60 or a 72 but from the little bit that I looked at it prior to doing a little research to try to find out what it is; I have a little information:

The tank is an AMF Voit tank

Tank valve is AMF Viking marked

Tank is steel, but steel is covered with a hard white plastic shell

only markings on the tank that I’ve found where in a cut out of the white plastic and read 4 MR 74+

any information on helping me ID the tank would be helpful. I’m going to go down to my dive shop tomorrow and try to get it inspected/hydrod but hopefully figure out what it is prior.
RichKeller - 7/12/2012 5:13 AM
Pictures, measurements and any other markings you can make out would be helpful. The standard size tank at that time was 72 cu/ft but it could be anything. The other thing you want to look for are breaks plastic coating, if water gets trapped between the coating and the tank you could have a problem.
Subscribed
dugefresh - 7/12/2012 10:24 AM
here are some pictures. Measurements are about 17.5 long and 6.75 wide it’s got a rounded bottom, so I tried to keep that out of my measurements. 3/4 inch valve though. The plastic coatign does have quite a few cracks in it, however there doesn’t appear to be any surface rust; just dust and dirt from sitting so long

Subscribed
dugefresh - 7/12/2012 10:25 AM
the writtign is very blurry picture. Hard to hold the camera still long enough I guess. However, there is something written under the 4 MR 74+ only thing I can make out is 63+. anyways, pictures are up. If you have any expertise in the area please help me out.
Subscribed
dugefresh - 7/12/2012 11:15 AM
well, just got back from my local dive shop. No useful information from them. Was told I couldn’t even get a visual inspection of it because it is too old, and woudl "crush" when diving. I’m not quite sure I believe what I was told as steel tanks shoudl last a while, and during my research found that people are still using them today, mainly as a double setup. The one piece of useful information I got was that the thread count on the valve is the old thread count.
Subscribed
Lonefrogman - 7/12/2012 11:59 AM
The 63+ tells me its date of manufacturer is 1963. The numbers before that will tell you the month, working pressure. It would look like this "ICC 3AA 2250 ?? 63+" The ?? is the month. Those numbers are on that tank, maybe under the coating. The + allows a 10% over fill. The + rating may not be any good if it hasn’t been done at each hydro.

The tank may be good, but not really practical for you to use. The volume is to small.

Check out my twins 42’s http://divebuddy.com/photo.aspx?PicID=59522&MemID=2165

Maybe this will help.

The Volt valve is a 1963 Pro series 1/2 NPT "K" valve. I hve the parts break drawing and part numbers for that valve

The 72’s are about 25 inches long.

42 cf 6.75 X 18.75 working pressure 1880

50 cf 6.82 X 18.75 working pressure 2250
Subscribed
dugefresh - 7/12/2012 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I found that the tank I was looking at was a 60, and was also told my my grandfather that he has a 72 in the garage that i’m going to try to find and dig out now. My next Question is as far as usabliity; I’d like to have them as back up tanks. Is there a place I can update the valves to a more modern style din/yoke valve and would you recomend checking out another dive shop to see if they will do hydros on old tanks like this?
Subscribed
Lonefrogman - 7/13/2012 1:15 AM
http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/,
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/ and eBay.

You can find a company that does hydro and carry it to them, but your will still have to find a dive shop to VIP and fill it. I have six old tanks 40 years or older, the set of twins are 1942.