Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

RX mask?
BurningChrome - 5/03/2012 6:41 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

as i get older and my eye site gets worse, i find i can’t do much of anything w/o my glasses...and i have tried to wear contacts, but i just can’t seem to make it work for me. so...in order to keep diving, i’m thinking i need to get a mask with my eyeglass prescription in the lenses.

can anyone recommend a company to use...or to avoid? or any other general thoughts on the topic?

btw, i’ve contemplated lasik, but it’s just not in the cards right now...

thanks!
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/03/2012 8:30 AM
Do you need them to see or just for the fine print on gauges/computer/camera?

XS Scuba makes a gauge reader mask that I need for the camera.

There are mask that have pop out lens you can change or go for a perscription mask. I haven’t used either of those options so I can’t help.

Beware of stick on lens, they come off in the rinse bucket :(
Subscribed
BurningChrome - 5/03/2012 9:30 AM
thanks for the reply...

i guess i kinda need them to see...i am "required" to wear them to drive...i wear progressive lenes with an astigmatism in 1 eye. the gauge reader mask may work for the other eye. i’ll check out xs scuba.

i had read that about the stick on lenses.
Subscribed
ScubaDreaminn - 5/04/2012 8:41 AM
I have a prescription mask, but it was years ago that I had it done, so don’t remember the company - just know that I LOVE IT! Don’t have to worry about my contacts and can see all the wonders! One of my friends is checking into now so if I get any information I will pass along to you.
Subscribed
BurningChrome - 5/04/2012 1:16 PM
thanks...that would be awesome...it’s not an imminent purchase, but hopefully soon...
TColJeep - 5/04/2012 3:42 PM
This is a company located in San Diego. I had them put a set of readers into my mask about 4 years ago. They did a great job. I’ve got over 200 dives on that mask now and they are fantastic. As soon as I find a a spare mask I’m having them set it up also. http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/
TColJeep - 5/04/2012 3:46 PM
Also, I had Lasik surgery. My distance vision is great, but I still needed the readers to see my guages and camera screen. Unfortunately as we get older our vision just doesn’t adjust from far to near as well. Good luck.
Subscribed
BurningChrome - 5/05/2012 6:10 AM
thanks for the link and the info...i’ll be sure to check it out. if i only needed readers, that would be an improvement...and less costly...
maildiver - 7/03/2012 5:26 PM
I have used optical masks that the dive shops rent out, these will work Ok, best bet is to do what I did, go to your local dive shop, pick a mask that fits really good, and have the shop send it in with your prescription for custom lenses. I paid over 200 bucks, but worth every penny.