Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Who’s ready to go in Jersey
giantfan - 4/20/2012 5:54 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 9

Hello all. I just got my boat in the water a few days ago and should have all my maint done by the end of the weekend. I hope to do some afternoon dives next week and want to dive as much as possible this summer. I don’t have a lot of dives under my belt but I feel that I have good grasp of it and want to work on my skills. I have my OW, AOW, and EAN certs.

I have been fishing all my life and know lots of wrecks and structure on the North Jersey Coast. If anyone would like to come join me for some diving this summer let me know. My boat can accomidate at least 6 divers and their gear. I have a few friends that dive and will be coming with me but I would like to add some names to the list of people I will contact when I am looking to head out in case non of my buddies can make it.... I will still be able to go.

Below are a couple of pictures of my boat. It’s a 34’ Pursuit with twin diesels. It has a full head, heat, A/C, hot and cold water shower in the cockpit, small galley, full electronics, EPIRB, life raft, Sat Phone, ect....

Subscribed
mizugori - 4/21/2012 7:12 PM
I would love to come but I’m fairly new so are you going to be doing anything that isn’t super deep? Also, are you diving dry? I don’t have a drysuit so the temps have to be survivable in a wet suit. Let me know?
Subscribed
CJ43 - 4/22/2012 8:42 PM
Sounds like an awesome set-up you have. If you are looking for one more I’d like to join. I hold an AOW cert with a couple NJ wreck dives, and numerous tropical dives in my book. Feel free to contact me with any plans.
Subscribed
giantfan - 4/23/2012 3:23 AM
I’m not going to be doing anything really deep... thinking between 60-90 ft. I don’t dive dry... and to tell you the truth I don’t really know what my temp limits are at this point. I will be starting out simple to make sure my 7mm will be ok with the current water temps and go from there. The water seems to be warmer then normal so I am hopefull that the 7mm will be ok.

I will let you both know when I’m heading out. Possibly this coming weekend.
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/23/2012 8:41 AM
Just remember the ocean temps you hear on the radio are surface temps collected and padded by the Chamber of Commerce to lure Bennies down to the beaches from NY. Bottom temps are still in the 40’s and might make 50’s by August.

A 7mil is doable, I use a 7 mil with a 2/3 mil hooded vest and a beanie but you are going to get chilled
Subscribed
giantfan - 4/23/2012 8:50 AM
From LatitudeAdjustment: Just remember the ocean temps you hear on the radio are surface temps collected and padded by the Chamber of Commerce to lure Bennies down to the beaches from NY. Bottom temps are still in the 40’s and might make 50’s by August. A 7mil is doable, I use a 7 mil with a 2/3 mil hooded vest and a beanie but you are going to get chilled...

Yep.... I get it. Thanks.

Been fishing my own boat for 30 years. Not a Bennie..... Just started diving so I need to figure out what my comfort range is as it varies a lot from person to person from what I hear. I posed the question "what is an acceptable temp to dive wet in a 7mm" on a couple of discussion boards and have heard answers from diving in ice flows to people that they will only dive dry even in the tropics.

I just need to jump in and see how it goes for me.... I’m not very sensitive to cold.
Subscribed
mizugori - 4/23/2012 11:04 AM
I can tell you my experience; I got certified last year and our final checkout/test dives kept getting pushed back because the hurricane and other storms kept ruining visibility every weekend we would be scheduled to go! So finally, we ended up diving in October. I had a 7mm wetsuit, 7mm boots, a 5mm or 7mm hood (I think it was 7) and 5mm gloves (you really can’t bend your fingers at ALL in 7mm gloves.) The water was about 52-53 degrees on the surface, and 20-30 feet down it was 50 degrees even.

When I first got into the water, I thought I was going to go into shock when the frigid water first raced up my spine (you know, when it first gets into your wetsuit?) Yeah, not fun! Then after being in the water for about 5 minutes, it was really hard and took a lot of concentration to resist/slow down the convulsions from being so cold. I truly don’t know how we got through 20 minutes and then another 20 minute dive, somehow we did it, but I had to mentally put my consciousness in another place, as though resisting torture. I don’t think you could pay me to dive in 50 degree water again without a dry suit.

So I think you want the water temp at the level most of your dive will be at, to be around 60 degrees at least. I spoke to my former dive instructor this past weekend and he told me he dove and it was 52 degrees (and that was the same place I did my checkout dives, so I am pretty sure he was 20-30 feet down again.)
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/23/2012 12:12 PM
"When I first got into the water, I thought I was going to go into shock when the frigid water first raced up my spine (you know, when it first gets into your wetsuit?) "

That’s why I wear the hooded vest, it’s between you and that rear zipper and eases the shock! :)

As for your comfort level in a 7 mil, when I was young and ........ I did one ice dive in a wet suite, just one!

Late August, September and into October are our best times. The Gulf Stream has swept up tropicals to add a little color to the local fish population. Surface temps will be 70+ and I’ll do the inlets in a 3 mil but then because of out going tides your dive is shorter so you are out before the chill sets in. Beach dives can also be done in a 3 mil. Those same monthes are also the worst for getting your dive blown out by thunderstorms and passing tropical storms :(
TColJeep - 4/24/2012 6:25 PM
A little trick to beat that shock of the cold water rushing into the suit is to pour some nice warm water into the suit before entering the water. Works every time and your body doesn’t have to work as hard to warm up the incoming water. Be carefull the water is not too hot, believe me, you can’t get out of the suit fast enough...
blackhawk845 - 4/27/2012 3:29 PM
I am up in NEPA, if i was not 2.5 hr north i would be up for a dive.