Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Crystal River/Clearwater/Tampa Feb. 22 - 28, 2012
MaryW - 1/11/2012 4:22 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 9

Dh and I will be in the area from February 22nd - 28th, but we’ll have our grandkids with us for manatee snorkeling so cannot dive together :-(

We’re both novice divers looking for a way to get more practice! Six dives in Cozumel are the only experience we have as OW certified divers. Would love to hook up with someone familiar with the local dive sites, and who wouldn’t mind our inexperience (what we lack in experience, we more than make up for in our eagerness to DIVE!).

It would be great to find someone for each of us, but even if we find just 1 buddy - awesome!

Thanks!
Subscribed
oceanbound - 1/11/2012 6:32 PM
too bad it’s not a few days earlier. We’ll be at crystal river on that Saturday, and then fossil hunting (not diving) on that Saturday. hopefully someone from the board will check in and be available. I believe there are several from that area.
Subscribed
MaryW - 1/11/2012 6:58 PM
thanks, oceanbound! Very sweet of you to reply. I’m sure we’ll find someone through this site or a local dive shop. Where there’s a will there’s a way, and in the end I’ll be happy to snorkel with the grands.

enjoy your fossil hunting!! I’d love to hear more about that!
ScubaDreaminn - 1/11/2012 7:54 PM
Do you know what day you are planning on the Manatee trip? We live just 45 minutes away and are looking at maybe getting another group trip down there again. We dive in the North Florida Springs all the time, as we have a B&B here, so if you need any info just let us know. Michael is an instructor and we dive with people of all experience and welcome new and experienced divers....we like you just love to dive :)
Subscribed
MaryW - 1/11/2012 8:40 PM
Hi ScubaDreaminn! I’ve booked That Thursday morning (the 23rd) for the manatees, but I’m sure we can change it if needed. The rest of our week is wide open. We are flying on the 22nd and 28th, so need to keep that in mind.

A little more info - I would love a Peak Buoyancy class as for some reason I want to either sink to the bottom or fly to the surface - I need work ;o) - all of my air is getting eaten up trying to stay neutrally buoyant instead of staying down LONGER.

It’s great that we have a little time to explore the possibilities. Definitely keep me posted if you plan a group trip or have any other ideas that would work with our need to dive separately. boo on dat. ha!
ScubaDreaminn - 1/13/2012 2:27 PM
Mary,

That sounds great, perhaps we can get together over the weekend, if your kids can spare you from visiting. If you want to check out some of the other Springs around the area Michael is a great guide as well as assist you with your buoyancy. That can be a bit tricky and is one of the best skills in diving to fine tune as it is a great benefit in the long run.

So, on the manatee thing, if booking with a boat, perhaps they have other divers that you guys could dive with? Or does one of you need to be with the grandkids? From the boats, they only allow diving in Kings Spring in Crystal River. The viz can be a bit cloudy, so not the crystal clear water you see in most Springs...however the Manatees do venture in there and there is a cool statue to see. Three Sisters Spring is closed to diving right now, but the water is beautiful.

Look forward to meeting you and diving with you both. You can’t come to Florida and not dive and dive together :)
Subscribed
MaryW - 1/13/2012 6:34 PM
ScubaDreaminn, I hear you on that - we want to dive together in a bad way. Unfortunately, I hadn’t decided to become scuba certified until after we booked this trip. Argh! Honestly, I didn’t think I would like scuba diving, but you know what happens when you get into the big old blue ocean! Our grandkids are really too young to leave by themselves so this is what we’re left with.

We’re booked with Bird’s Underwater for the manatee tour, and we’re staying in one of their rentals. I’ve asked them to keep us in mind if some other lone divers show up...

I’ll keep in touch as we get closer to our trip. If you plan a group trip, and need an extra diver let me know. If Michael is available during that time, and we haven’t found any divers in need of a buddy, we will definitely love to hire him for a dive or two.

I would love to meet up! Hopefully we can work something out.

In the end, if we just end up snorkeling with the grands, we’ll be fine, they’re awesome kids and the plan is to get them up and diving as age permits! We also have Cozumel to look forward to in June :) Thanks so much for your super kind responses. I love divers. They just seem to be naturally good people!
VWfinatic273 - 2/03/2012 2:36 AM
I am off from Sunday morning to Wednesday evening, I wouldn’t mind setting up some dives with you. I know a few local spots and some great ones up in North Florida if you are willing to travel. Where are you from?
Subscribed
MaryW - 2/03/2012 4:05 PM
Hi Tucker! We’re from Cypress, TX. I’m pretty sure Monday and Tuesday we’ll be free. I’ll have Terry send you a message to try and set something up.
Subscribed
MaryW - 2/03/2012 4:38 PM
scubadreamin’, maybe you and your dh would want to dive with Tucker and Terry if they end up figuring something out? I appreciate your offer in your other thread, but I wouldn’t dream of you staying back with my grands while we dive. You are a sweetheart to mention that, though.

Maybe, if it all works out, we can all get together one night, including Tucker or anyone else who would want to join us. We’re staying at one of birdsunderwater’s rentals, and it’s on the water (Hall’s river?? - not familiar with the area), with an outdoor grill I do believe. We would love that! If it’s something you’d like to do, just send me a message, and tell me what you drink and if you have any food preferences or dietary restrictions.