Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Not able to get 40% EAN fill?
kpetro - 6/27/2011 1:37 PM
Category: General
Replies: 9

I went to get nitrox this weekend and was told they would not give me a 40% fill, 36% max, because my regs could not be used with 40% without an O2 clean. When I got my training, and brought my regs, I was told they are fine for up to 40%. Has anyone else had trouble getting a certain fill %?
Subscribed
scubaclay - 6/27/2011 1:42 PM
Some regs are cleared up to 40% right out of the box. Check with the manufactor about the issue. It could be that the operator is incorrect. 
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 6/27/2011 1:49 PM
It could have to do with there are published dive tables for nitrox 32 and 36 and the fill station may not have been comfortable mixing 40% for you if you did not have an advance nitrox card, or their gas is already mixed at 32 and 36 and they were not capable of doing a 40% mix. Some gas come pre mixed and they just dispense it, other fill stations mix it themselves depending on their set up.
Subscribed
kpetro - 6/27/2011 4:02 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, I checked my reg info and it says ok for up to 40%. They didn’t have a problem blending other mixes, just this one guy would not go over 36%. The other employees have never had a problem with it in the past, just have to avoid this one I guess.
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 6/27/2011 6:27 PM

Good deal, Not knowing what you dive profile was or your planned depth, I was just wondering why a 40% mix? Usually mixes above 40% are for excelerated decompression. Because that one had a problem mixing that gas not having all the info in front of him may not necessarily make him the one to avoid but the one to draw from. Without getting into max ata and limits of recreational dive computers, some folks need a little more info before they go beyond what is deemed to be the rcreational limits. So he/she may have been a good apple after all.
Subscribed
kpetro - 6/27/2011 6:53 PM
We were planning an 60’ deep, multilevel dive in a sinkhole. I’m very conservative, and don’t like to press the limits, but I figure the more O2 the better, when it’s allowed. Oh well, live and learn. Live is the key for me :)
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 6/28/2011 1:12 AM
And I absolutely hear ya there..as long as you know the risk involved and have thought it out. Live life to the fullest. Were you at least able to complete your dive profile?
Subscribed
kpetro - 6/28/2011 10:45 AM
Actually, I bugged out on the 2nd dive so didn’t even use the tank, lmao. Maybe it was a sign. First dive to 110’ went very well on 29%.
Subscribed
kpetro - 6/28/2011 7:56 PM
Thanks Lars, we always check our MOD with this formula. I’m really cautious and usually dive shallower than the MOD for any mix.