Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Thoughts on buying School kit or new
MurphyMt - 3/17/2011 1:52 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

Hi Peoples,

I live and dive in Malta. Last year I was renting kit now that summer is coming again I am thinking to buy my own. Some old friends that I have lost contract with bought items from the net but shipping to Malta seems to not make it worth while. So when I was looking for rent a kit in my local area the one local dive shop says he’s sells the previous year or year before stock of at a discount rate. I am thinking this is a good option. So I have asked him for a kit list and a break down of prices, probably large / extra large bcd, 1st and 2nd stage and tanks. The shop had suggested I buy the tanks new and said it was about 15 Euro per letter.

My plan is to do like 2 dives a day Saturday and Sunday most of summer I have: mares mask snorkel and fins, bullet weight belt, suunto d6 dive computer. Malta is shore entry and mainly wreck diving. 

Please if you guys and ladies can offer any advice, online shops around Europe, and kit I should be looking at or into. I’m advanced Padi diver with probably around 40 dives. Thanks any advice is welcome.
Subscribed
caves4me - 3/17/2011 3:44 PM
Hi, these guys might be able to help you! http://www.simplyscuba.com/
Subscribed
caves4me - 3/19/2011 7:18 AM
Sorry! www.scubastore.com was the closest outfit to you!

Barry
Subscribed
MurphyMt - 3/19/2011 7:30 AM
Thanks for the feed back :)

I will check the surgested sites out and compare them to when I’m in Italy this next week.
MDW - 1/05/2012 10:17 AM
I would say buy the local rental kit at a discount. Just be careful about the regulators. Make sure they were not abused by the season’s renters, or at least that the shop owner overhauled them before selling them to you.