Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

New James Cameron Cave diving film.....
tardmaster - 1/16/2011 9:33 PM
Category: Books & Videos
Replies: 9

I’ve seen the trailer and read the small article in dive training magazine. Will def check it out. I thought everything in "Avatar" had an underwater look, movement or connection. I not too happy about it being 3d, but I’ll deal with it. Any other thoughts?
Subscribed
tardmaster - 1/16/2011 9:40 PM

Dang, i forgot to mention the name of the film...."Sanctum".

Subscribed
AOW_dude - 1/16/2011 11:43 PM
Dude, I’ll be there as soon as it comes out. Agree with you on Avatar, the connection to the stuff Cameron saw underwater is obvious. (Those huge Christmas Tree worms - wow! Can’t wait for Avatar 2 that’s gonna be underwater.) I like his old movie The Abyss but the diving scenes in it were kinda hokey. (Inhaling water and stuff, I dunno. Hope he gets diving right this time.) Not a problem with 3D for me. The way I see it - we live in 3D, why not watch it the same way.
Subscribed
Greg - 1/17/2011 9:19 AM
Sounds great to me.
Subscribed
dtkb - 1/17/2011 4:58 PM
Our dive shop is doing another movie night (we went for Fool’s Gold too). We get a big group of our divers together, go watch the movie and then go to dinner and grab a few drinks.. I love dive outings! 
Subscribed
AOW_dude - 1/19/2011 10:54 AM

It’s out on 2/4, I’m gonna see it at IMAX. Should be way cooler than The Cave. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/sanctumthemovie
Subscribed
chazrich - 1/25/2011 8:10 AM

From AOW_dude: I like his old movie The Abyss but the diving scenes in it were kinda hokey. (Inhaling water and stuff, I dunno. Hope he gets diving right this time.)

You do know that the Navy really did experiment with this technology in the 70’s and 80’s, right? I’ve spoken with one of the Navy SEALS who was part of that project. According to him it failed mostly because the saturation and expulsion processes (moving to breathing fluid and back to air) was so painful. He said it would be a week or better before you got over the experience and pnuemonia was a very real threat afterwards.
Subscribed
AOW_dude - 1/25/2011 11:25 AM
Yeah I do know about it, Cameron talks about liquid breathing research on special features. However, I’ve never heard about real diving gear built for liquid breathing that in fact works, and somebody actually diving with it.
Subscribed
chazrich - 1/25/2011 1:49 PM

I don’t know for a fact that there was any gear developed either. Our discussions on the matter were fairly brief. I do know they actually tested the fluids on human subjects, though. What the mechanism for saturation and evacuation of the fluids was I have no idea.

You know what they say - science fiction usually imitates science fact to some degree, then they push it a few steps farther.
Subscribed
AOW_dude - 2/04/2011 5:21 PM

Well, I just saw Sanctum and yes, it was cool. It looked nice on a huge IMAX screen but I can see how some people might wanna choose to watch it in 2D because a lot of the movie was filmed in very tight and dark spaces. I was expecting to see more diving, I’d say there was less then 30% diving in it. 50% of it was climbing and crawling through caves, and 20% death (6 people die one after the other, out of 7). I guess it might encourage some divers to go for a cave diving cert, while most of us would be like, ’whoa, I think I’m okay with just open water’.

It’s inspired by a true story, so I looked it up. Great story but the big difference is that nobody dies in that one. I also noticed that Wes Skiles was one of the guys in that real story (he shot a lot of cool stuff such as ’Journey into Amazing Caves’, ’The Cave’ movie, etc.), he died last year while on rebreather (not in a cave, though).

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/sanctum-the-real-story-6322/Overview1980#tab-blog

Here’s a big interview about Sanctum, Cameron acknowledges in it that he faked rebreathers in ’The Abyss’. It was the real deal this time.

http://collider.com/james-cameron-alister-grierson-andrew-wight-interview-sanctum/68239/