Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

online shopping for scuba gear
KelPlover - 11/24/2010 1:37 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 18

looking for a new wetsuit and found one I like, but they are currently out of stock on leisurepro.com and scubatoys.com doesn’t carry it. Anyone know any other reputable sites for gear that I could check?
JoePagano - 11/24/2010 2:00 AM

Well I don’t know which suit, or mil, you are looking at, but, please consider the Neosport X-SPAN. I have the 3.2 and the 5mil and they are fantastic. You just sit and watch your other divers struggle in and out of their suits while your done and comfortable. Good luck.

PS - Leisure Pro is the ONLY place to shop Scuba on-line, service, price and no hassle returns, and FAST.................
Subscribed
KelPlover - 11/24/2010 2:45 AM
I was looking at the camino semi-dry; have heard some good things about semidrys and just need a new suit that’ll keep me warm in our 52-60 degree temps out here. Thanks for the suggestion though
LatitudeAdjustment - 11/24/2010 7:09 AM

From KelPlover: I was looking at the camino semi-dry; have heard some good things about semidrys and just need a new suit that’ll keep me warm in our 52-60 degree temps out here. Thanks for the suggestion though

You do understand that "semi-dry" also means semi-wet? :)

I hope it fits when you get it, LP is good about returns but for things I need to try on I usually buy at the store were it fits and ask them if they can match the price, they usually can’t but get close enough to get the sale.
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 11/24/2010 8:06 AM
If you are considering a semi-dry..for the price of a good semi-dry you can probably find a good entry level bilaminate or trilaminate dry suit for the same price and be completly dry. Bare has a decent one that wont break your wallet..
Subscribed
KelPlover - 11/25/2010 2:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions- don’t really mind being wet still, just tired of freezing my ass off lately and I’ve heard multiple people talking about how much warmer they feel in a semi dry. A dry suit would be nice, but then I’d have to invest alot more than 300-400$ like I would for a semi-dry...and the search continues!!
Subscribed
allstarwa - 11/25/2010 6:05 AM

I uses these guys. They have been great if I need to return and have a semi dri and entry level dry suit if you want to spend a little more. I dive both, and got a used dry suit for about $50 then paid to have new seals. At the time it leaked a little but better than a wet suit.

http://www.divers-supply.com
Subscribed
slippin2darknezz - 11/25/2010 7:08 AM

Scubhttp://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresIceFit4Drysuit

scubatoys has a nice dry suit for 400.00 and they have various sizes for women..There are some really good deals out there.

Subscribed
waterlogged - 11/25/2010 9:18 AM

Last year I had a 3mm and a 7mm, both semi-dry custom made by these guys;

http://aquaflite.com/welcome.html

I think the total price tag for both suits/shipping was about $500 and I have no regrets. Well built and very warm not to mention a perfect fit. I dive water in the mid 40’s in my 7.
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 11/25/2010 11:35 AM

Hey Kelly,

Was our last dive at Old Marineland really that cold? ;-)

My wife hates cold water and absolutely LOVES her 7mil Pinnacle Element with merino wool lining. The seals make it practically a semi-dry, and the wool lining probably adds 10% more warmth over standard neoprene. As Zeagle bought Pinnacle recently, Leisure Pro is currently closing them out half price. Sweet deal if they have your size. Check it out.

Rich
Subscribed
pwhite34 - 11/25/2010 2:42 PM
Have a look at http://swishsuits.com they are designed especially for women but I don’t think they make a semi-dry suit
Subscribed
OUBobcat - 11/25/2010 4:26 PM
I would take a look at Pinnacle suits esp the Merino Elastiprene series. I agree with Rich. They are a great suit. I have the 5mm version and was warm in 50 deg water for an hour on a dive. I dove this past weekend with it in 45 deg water for almost an hour and was chilled not freezing cold while the other divers were shivering. I can only imagine how warm the 7mm version is. The seals are very nice and the 10mm spine pad is also nice.
Subscribed
KelPlover - 11/26/2010 5:06 AM
Rich: actually, I did get quite cold on that dive too, even after what seemed like a never ending kick out to the spot ;) it’s my suit, it’s just done for. Going to check out the pinnacles as suggested, but seems like every suit I become interested in, leisurepro doesn’t have in stock!! Anyone heard anything good/bad or otherwise about aqualung SolAfx? I read some good things about it online but don’t know anyone who’s dove it. And again, thanks everyone!!!
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 11/26/2010 10:47 AM
Two of my buddies have that new front zip Aqual Lung Sol/Afx and swear by it. I know Hollwyoodivers carries it and is having a big 25% off sale this weekend. If you want to try the Pinnacle, call any Sport Chalet and ask the scuba dept to look up in the computer to find which store has your size. SC has some still for $500, and if you are lucky LP will have one if you like it for half that on clearance.
Subscribed
hoofpick - 11/30/2010 1:11 AM
The most reputable place is going to be you local dive store.
Subscribed
dalehall - 12/01/2010 2:54 PM

From hoofpick: The most reputable place is going to be you local dive store.

Not always.. My LDS gouges to local customer and treats their internet customers much better. I can get a much better deal online than I can if I walk through the door, so I just use other internet based companies, such as LeisurePro.
Dale
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 12/01/2010 5:55 PM
From dalehall:

From hoofpick: The most reputable place is going to be you local dive store.

Not always.. My LDS gouges to local customer and treats their internet customers much better. I can get a much better deal online than I can if I walk through the door, so I just use other internet based companies, such as LeisurePro.
Dale

Dale. I beg to differ. There are times I use internet companies for items my LDS does not carry. In my post above I mentioned a wetsuit that I found on-line "after" I tried every suit on at my local dive shop. But for the most part it is extremely important to support you local dive shop. Without your support to keep their doors open, who will show you how to use that dive computer, who will help you assemble your new tech BCD, who will service your gear annually in-house, who will fight the manufacturer for you when your expensive dive light or camera breaks, and who will fill your scuba tanks with air or nitrox??????? Sorry you had a bad experience with your local shop. I love and appreciate my Local Dive Shop.
Subscribed
dalehall - 12/02/2010 10:30 AM
I wish I had an LDS I could support. Like I said, mine doesn’t care about the local people. Only their internet customers matter to them. Their doors will never close because me and my local club refuse to use them. As far as they are concerned, they aren’t losing anything by losing the local customers. It’s VERY sad because they have an awesome setup, but they refuse to use it to the extent it could be used. As for the help with everything you mentiones, I know enough divers, divemasters, instrcutors, Tech divers, etc that can help with anything we would have to pay these people to do. The part that really sucks is having to send our equipment through the mail to get another shop to service it because the LDS keeps putting our stuff behind internet customers and, after 6 weeks still haven’t looked at our equipment. And, that is not third party news, that happened to me specifically. I’m glad you have agreat LDS and when I move, I’m hoping to have one I can trust..
Dale
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 12/02/2010 10:49 AM
Bummer. Sorry to hear all that. I’d go out of my mind. I guess I’m just spoiled out here. Or perhaps the larger market in So.Cal. and competition drives the shops to be more responsive to their customers. You should talk some of those buddies you mentioned into opening your own dive shop. Good luck.