Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Marazul, San Andres, Columbia
bubblejack - 10/10/2010 6:14 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

Am contemplating a dive trip to San Andrès, at the Decameron Marazul. Tentative departure on November 22. Would love to hear from people who have been, specifically regarding what the diving is like (visibility, what you see, drift or not) and how you’d rank it in terms of dive destinations. Am also curious about what the weather and conditions are like at that time of year (hurricanes?)....
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 10/11/2010 9:34 AM

I had a non diving Columbian friend who wanted me to take her there a few years ago and it’s hard finding info or trip reports. Much of the info online is outdated with dead links and old email addresses. Good luck and if you go please post a trip report.

If you need a guide and interpreter I will give you her email address, she will teach you why hispanic men need to work three jobs :)
Subscribed
MouthBreather - 10/14/2010 8:43 AM

I have dived San Andres on several occasions. The island was not a dive destination for me so I didn’t have a large "stake" in it being good. I believe the waters are over fished, my opinion, because the fish population is a little thin. I might suggest you start on San Andres and do your "real" diving on nearby Providencia...also Colombian. Daily commuter flights are available to Providencia aboard baggage weight limited turbo prop aircraft. I have some photos of Providencia in my profile, "mouthbreather." Providencia is a much smaller, less developed island that has the third largest barrier reef in the world. The diving is world class there. It is reef and wreck dives. No real drift or wall dives for either Providencia or San Andres. San Andres is a tourism mecca for Colombians. Kind of like their own version of Cancun. Providencia is very layed back. Locals speak english on Providencia.....historical story behind that. Spanish only on San Andres. Hands down, I recommend Providencia over San Andres for diving. See below for my recommended contacts for dive shops and travel assistance:

Travel/Dive assistance with Providencia:

Tad, diveoldprovidence.com

Dive Shop/leader Providencia: Felipe Cabeza, felipediving.com

San Andres dive shops: Blue Life dive shop, Educardo, bluelife.com located in the Sunrise Hotel or San Andres divers, Alvaro, sanandresdiverscaribe.com.

Enjoy,

Lew
Subscribed
MouthBreather - 10/14/2010 9:05 AM

Forgot to add my 2 cents about dive conditions and weather: It’s the Caribbean! Don’t know that one time is significantly better than another. It’s too far south for hurricanes to be a factor on those islands. It’s always warm above and below.
Subscribed
bubblejack - 10/14/2010 11:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I will change my destination.

Best regards,

Jacques