Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Stood up by a dive buddy
AOW_dude - 9/05/2010 10:54 PM
Category: General
Replies: 11

Ever been stood up by a dive buddy, what did you do?
Subscribed
scubamel - 9/06/2010 11:43 AM
the only thing i do is delete the person and never dive with them again
Subscribed
SLICK - 9/06/2010 1:42 PM
I guess it depends on the reason and other factors. Did they contact you after not showing? Did they just get cold feet? Did you make them feel uncomfortable in any way? Did they feel like they could not live up to your expectations? Did they die before making the trip? A lot of factors are at stake when selecting a Dive Buddy! You could just be too good for them to dive with...
Subscribed
AOW_dude - 9/06/2010 2:29 PM
Say, if it’s nothing personal and nobody’s fault, just car trouble or stuff like that, and you’re thinking, “should I try to find another buddy at the last minute or should I just call it a day?” (That’s when I came up with Diving Solo survey). In my case, I went snorkeling instead and still had a great time.
Subscribed
SLICK - 9/06/2010 2:56 PM
That’s easy...keep that buddy, but find others too. Car trouble is car trouble. The more, the merrier. I like groups of 3 or 4, at least. That way, say you have 4 buddies...if one doesn’t show, you still have a dive, just with an extra person. The chances that 3 won’t show, is slim, and it may be personal at that point. Always try to get more buddies involved. It’s usually more fun and perhaps safer that way. Plus, you have more bubble tales when you are back on the surface. Besides, when you run out of air, you have a choice of buddies to steal an alternate from...LOL!
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 9/06/2010 9:57 PM
I FOR ONE NEVER RELY ON A DIVE BUDDY,it is preferable to dive with a buddy, however, NEVER RELY ON SOMEONE ELSE TO SAVE YER A$$,

you will be disappointed, self reliance is a motto I live by ! you dive you cry! when your dive buddy is off investigating something other then your well being,!!! 

complacency is a disease we can ALL LIVE without !!
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 9/06/2010 9:59 PM
A PHONE CALL GOES A LONG WAY REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCE !!
Subscribed
flaski - 9/07/2010 9:49 AM

Yes, it is more aggravating then anything, I had a fellow that was just the biggest jerk in the world, a local divemaster who really was just a user of people, funny I don’t have any ill will toward him, because it actually lead me to use this site and I have met people that I now consider my best friends. Sure there is the occasional goof out there but for the most part I can say every person on my buddy list with a check, I would love to dive with again anytime. Even the buddies that I have not dove with seem like folks I can’t wait to meet up with. This spring while the gulf was screwed up from the winter run off then the oil spill crap, I had the chance to travel around the state diving and meeting up with many dive buddies as well as reuniting with some past friends that had moved, for some really great diving in some new spots as well as springs that I remember the fish.

I say diversify and broaden your buddies, not all may enjoy the same enthusiasm for diving as you may.

Subscribed
Anne_of_the_Sea - 9/08/2010 7:29 PM
Flaski, I believe I know who you are talking about and he should be banned as a PADI DM anyway it must be that idiot PM right?
Subscribed
Brandon58 - 9/11/2010 7:12 PM
It has been my experience that if 4 divers say that they are going to show up for a dive a week in advance you may have 2 the actual day of said dive. When I set up trips I will usually overbook knowing that as the time draws near some people will "have something come up" at the last minute. Usually the same people every time.