Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

NJ shore and lake dives
LONGTAILBDA - 5/08/2010 8:33 AM
Category: Training
Replies: 3

I’m looking for some fresh water lakes in extreme Southern NJ (Cape May, Atlantic and Ocean counties) for some basic dives. For some newer divers to build some confidence.

Also, if anybody knows of some easy shore dives in the same area for the same purpose I’d appreciate a heads up. Most of the sites I usually use in the area have some obstacles lthat prevent them from being considered easy. Strong currents, heavy boat traffic ect.
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/08/2010 8:26 PM

Good luck finding any diveable lakes in south Jersey, the glaciers didn’t make it this far! All lakes in south Jersey are man made for waterpower at long gone mills or for farming to irigate cranberry or blueberry bogs. The one near my house is 12’ but there isn’t anything to see.

For testing new gear or later this summer when training a new buddy I use L Street beach in Belmar, at high slack tide you can find 20’ and if you know where to look, seahorses and late summer into fall, tropicals.

badintexas - 5/11/2010 11:18 AM
I was going to suggest BelMar also. Greg did several dives there when we lived in NJ. Also, I know it’s not right down the street but Dutch Springs in Pennsylvania is super neat.
Subscribed
LONGTAILBDA - 5/11/2010 11:29 AM
I should be doing at least 10 days at Dutch great for traing. I was hoping to find something we can run down to aft work; for a quick dive.