Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive travel bag?
xxSubSeaxx - 2/23/2010 10:15 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 7

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good travel bag? Scubatoys.com seems to have a ton of them that I’ve been pawing through...I know I want wheels, preferably backpack as well, prefer outside fin pockets, but was looking for something where I can pack gear and clothes in one bag. Thoughts?
hopeinvalor - 2/24/2010 12:46 AM
I have always packed two sets of fins, booties, wetsuit, bladder along with tools (stuff that can’t be taken carry on) in a rolling XS Scuba mesh bag. Mesh is lightweight and can be used to drag all our gear to the boat upon arrival at the destination. Backplate, STA, regs, computers, lights etc, are in a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack which is carried on.
hopeinvalor - 2/24/2010 12:46 AM
I have always packed two sets of fins, booties, wetsuit, bladder along with tools (stuff that can’t be taken carry on) in a rolling XS Scuba mesh bag. Mesh is lightweight and can be used to drag all our gear to the boat upon arrival at the destination. Backplate, STA, regs, computers, lights etc, are in a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack which is carried on.
Rich-D-Fish - 2/24/2010 12:57 AM
I chose the XS Scuba dive bag because it seemed to have beefier wheels than the other 10 brands at my LDS. Some were one compartment duffel style. Most have at least two outer fin pockets, and usually 1-2 smaller storage compartments. Mine included a separate padded regulator case with carrying strap that zippered inside one of the outer compartments. I use that case as a carry on item to include all my super expensive items, such as regular, dive computer and my octo/inflator. Fins, mask, wetsuit and BCD I checked in. When I’m traveling to a country where I feel my luggage is at risk of being stolen, I have another option instead of traveling with a bag that obviously carries scuba gear. I can easily fit all the same gear into an old suit case. Plus I bring along a lightweight mesh duffel with backpack straps that can easily be folded up in the case. Hope this helps.
Triggerfish - 2/24/2010 5:47 PM
Stahlsac is by far the best dive bags around for a big trip I have the W405-B Catalina it will hold yours and your wife’s gear and stay under fifty pounds lifetime guarantee I bought two of them and all are clothes and gear goes in it no problem, heavy duty big time. I did buy the Akona carry on and the reg. bag that fits it nice luggage but still not built like the Stahlsac company
scubamonica - 2/26/2010 8:18 PM

My husband and I have used both a gator pack and mares wheeled backpacks with outside fin pockets. Both bags will hold 2 full sets of gear at the same time, although the gator pack fits it a little more comfortably. Additionally when my husband travels alone, both of them will hold everything he takes.
rsexauer - 2/27/2010 8:37 AM
I am going to head in a different direction. My choice for a travel bag is standard luggage. This stuff is usually found on sale at a fraction of dedicated dive gear. when and if it wears out it is cheap to replace. Just my 2 cents.
joeyro16 - 2/27/2010 10:19 AM
I have a sakeo dive that has a hard back and a zip off day pack. I usually put all my gar in the suitcase section and my few clothes in the zip off part. When I get to check in, if it is over weight I just zip off the front and check the two bags separately.