Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

How Important is Additional Training?
Div4fun - 2/10/2010 4:46 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 14

As a law enforcement and scuba instructor, it is obvious that I believe that continued training above and beyond the basics is important. In scuba diving I believe that the more training you get the more resources you have for emergencies. I further believe that more training improves your comfort level to enjoy a wider variety of underwater adventures.
Now that I expressed my opinion, I pose the following question: Would you rather take a specialty course or just dive with someone experienced in that kind of diving (wreck, night, deep, etc.)?
Thanks for your input.
DeepAddiction - 2/11/2010 2:52 PM

Nice question...I just started Diving in June of 2009 and completed my Master Diver Cert in January. 8 months of classes and diving in my opinion does not make someone a Master Diver...50 dives does not make someone a Master Diver.

I believe the base I developed through the Specialty Courses was a must. There was definately something I pulled from the text and instructors that I would not have thought ask someone I was diving with and the person I would probably be diving with may be really experienced but that doesn’t mean he/she is a teacher.

So I guess my answer is both are needed to make a well rounded, skilled diver.
1maurscuba - 2/12/2010 11:34 AM
Both!!!!!!!!!!
Diver_Down - 2/12/2010 2:21 PM

I believe that for the specialties that deal with safety, ie. Deep Diving, Wreck Diving, Multi-Level, etc. you really should get proper instruction first. After instruction it would be best to conduct dives using the skills with someone more experienced with that particular type of diving, a mentor if you will.

Other skills that aren’t necessarily focused on safety, ie. u/w photo or video, u/w nav, etc. could be learned by diving with someone who has the skill experience, but not necessarily an instructor. The basic information can be learned by reading and diving with an experienced buddy.

As for me, I’m forutnate enough to have a MSDT as my regular buddy, so I’m covered on both accounts.
Greg - 2/12/2010 5:12 PM
Additional training courses have particular objectives and allow you to learn the required skills to dive safely. All courses, regardless of the certifying agency, are developed through many years of experience. You’ll learn in many different ways, by reading, talking, watching, testing and doing. Plus, you’ll earn a nice certification and id card :) AND, it’s hard to show others that you’ve obtained a certain level without having the id card to back it up.

I suggest the additional training.
greysquirrel - 2/13/2010 8:30 PM

I agree that the training is important. Obviously there are some things that you can learn just by diving with someone who knows what they are doing, i.e. uw photography / video, but the training not only teaches you how to do things, but why to do things. If you take a class and learn how and why to do certain things it leads you to better thinking when the normal steps aren’t working so that you may come up with an idea that does. I think that this is very important when it comes to training that involves safety issues. I know that I could have learned how to put a regulator in my mouth and to breathe off of it under water, but without the proper training from someone who knows how to teach I may not have learned what to do when that regulator stopped working. which brings up the point of knowing how to teach. As a Law Enforcement instructor I have seen a lot of people try to teach others without the ability to do so. It isn’t that they don’t know what they are talking about, only that they do not know how to pass it on to others. As for me, I will opt for the training.
DiveBuddyChgo - 2/14/2010 7:17 AM
I agree with you.. No diver should depend on anothers certifications... I believe in taking baby steps for your own advancement and do a lot of diving.. You’ll end up being a much more comfortable/better skilled diver .. Certifications are more bought then earned...
oceanfloor - 2/14/2010 7:51 AM
Hi, I’m a law enforcement officer and college instructor... a firm believer in education to enhance knowledge and practice to refine it. Both a must!
Nesher - 2/14/2010 12:36 PM
As previously stated...it is essential that education and training come first, then practice, practice, practice to refine your newly acquired skill sets.

It’s always a good thing to have a dive buddy whose experience in those skill sets can assist and help further your abilities.

Both are critically important in the correct order. But if you have to choose one over the other, I’d take the training. But I’d prefer to have both.
GypsyDiver - 2/15/2010 2:09 PM
As an Instructor, I never stop training. I want to learn new specialties or techniques. I love diving with the experience as well as the novice divers. It allows each dive to be new and exciting. If some proves to be an unsafe, that will be our last dive together.
tjbrowndiver - 2/21/2010 9:35 AM

Training is really important part of becoming an experienced living diver and lack of training could end your experience. Entering a cave or wreck without the training no matter how experienced you are at other forms of diving could be your final dive. I really enjoy diving with people from all over the world because of all the experience you gain beyond the training, but the training is what gives you the skills to get started safely.

ANUWCNJ - 2/23/2010 4:44 PM
As a PSD instructor, retired Law Enforcement, and instructor, I beleive that you can never can get enough continuing education in diving. I am always trying to learn more about diving.
MBaydiver - 3/17/2010 2:40 PM

Training of course. I have read some response and feel that I must point out, if you boat dive you will not be alowed to do some of the dives with out the right cert. I just got my advanced after 87 dives. Because of the diffculty of my dives I did not have to do pool time or class, just the dives and read the book. The cert dives were like fun dives for me.
Enkidulumo - 3/24/2012 3:08 PM
Two things: First GypsyDiver as an Instructor you dive with someone whom you deem unsafe it is your responsibility to help educate them to be a safe diver. What happens when they dive with someone else and they hurt them self or someone else.

Second MBayDiver some boats don’t care it’s all about money to them and they will take anyone who is willing to pay. I have seen it first hand. I tell my students not to dive on those boats. If they choose to dive on them it’s their choice. Nothing is more important than continuing education, especially when it comes to courses such as cavern, cave, deep, re-breather, tri-mix, solo diving, and wreck penetration.

I say get the training; furthermore tell your instructor you would like to continue diving with them after the course. If they will not dive with you don’t get trained by them. Plain and simple if they are not willing to dive with you after you take a class with them then find another instructor who will.