Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

What do I need?
dmmalien - 12/01/2009 1:45 AM
Category: General
Replies: 18

I am wanting to buy my wife her own diving equipment and want to know if i need to spend $$ or $$$. I see regs for $200 and go up from there to $1000. She will mostly be diving Utah and off the San Diego coast with a few trips elsewhere when we can afford them. Will a $200 set do fine or should I spend $600 for a set?
DalelynnSims - 12/01/2009 6:05 AM

Let me ask a few things, how often do you plan on diving annually? What kind of diving is expected? How many dive sites, stores and divers have you talked to about the specific item your looking at purchasing?

Choosing equipment is unique for each individual. The first question I normally tell my students that if they find themselves diving more than 10 times a year then go ahead and purchase your equipment. Not only is it yours and as such better cared for that some rental items you are safer as you become more comfortable in it, knowing where everything is at and now to use it. Important safety stuff here and a comfort level you may not have with different rental gear each dive.

Try before you buy! Most dive shops are going to let you do this and some will allow you to take some or all the rental price off if you decide to purchase.

Do Your Homework! You cannot research enough, talk to people, shops, people on the boards here, scubaboard and the like. While it may be ok to purchase some thing on line e.g. wet suits; others should be purchased from a shop that services them and have the technical staff to do so.

Lets say your reg starts free flowing a week before the dive trip to the Keys and there is a part needed. If you purchased it from the local dive shop chances are they can fix it for a valued customer. Cant do that with .com Who knows even if they cant fix it they may offer you one of theirs or stick on another second stage just to get you on your way to your trip

Additionally consider what your diving may be like in the future e.g. dont settle for an air computer, go nitrox; try the backplate and wing as it is more adjustable for a variety of dive types rather than a jacket BC.

Then take a while and choose wisely as we are all looking for the next customer and I like mine and want to keep them coming back.

God Bless and Dive safe!
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/01/2009 11:03 AM

From dmmalien: I am wanting to buy my wife her own diving equipment. Will a $200 set do fine or should I spend $600 for a set?

Hopefully you will never have to explain to a judge and jury why you only spent $200 on her reg but more on her life insurance :)

Go cheap on the wetsuit but not on the life support equipment!
RAWalker - 12/01/2009 11:48 AM
Considering the locations you are planning a cold water reg (environmentally sealed first stage) may be a safety consideration. This will take you out of the $200 offerings but need not send you to a $600 level. with a bit of shopping a great reg bellow the $400 mark should fit well. The regs I dive Oceanic Delta IV FDX10 can be found new at that level.
firediver57 - 12/01/2009 8:31 PM
A reg set like the sherwood magnum is excellent - my wife loves hers. It has a lot of features like being sealed, good at depth, and medium costs. Breathes very easy. I have had mine over 10 years now. Just annual services. 500 + dives on it. Good luck.
UWnewbee - 12/01/2009 9:44 PM
My Sherwood Brut & blizzard does just fine, sealed unit as well, I myself go with a brand and style thats been around for awhile, and with any reputable brand almost every shop will be able to service it, and a small note on SOME .com’s, some are a 3rd party seller and there has been cases where they sell cheap in lieu of there is No factory warranty!
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 12/01/2009 10:43 PM
I’m new to diving and I bought the MK25/S600 fm ScubaPro... and I totally love it.. easy breathing!!!! nice stress free dives. Good solid regs.
Diver84 - 12/01/2009 11:54 PM

Well i live in Utah, and i suggest a package deal from Lesiure Pro web site. I bought 2 years ago a Sherwood package for $800.00 and that include’s BC and Reg. But then i bought a Sunto D6 computer for $600.00. And i only dived 1 time out of state. So i suggest get a cheap one and dont do what i did.
UWnewbee - 12/02/2009 12:22 AM
From Diver84:

Well i live in Utah, and i suggest a package deal from Lesiure Pro web site. I bought 2 years ago a Sherwood package for $800.00 and that include’s BC and Reg. But then i bought a Sunto D6 computer for $600.00. And i only dived 1 time out of state. So i suggest get a cheap one and dont do what i did.

Its Always pleasing to hear some good solid strong Negative feedback!!
jimran - 12/02/2009 2:55 AM
well first off you should talk to some one that has been diving for a few ,they have used other regs and seen the differance in them how the breath ,cost,and well well they last ,,,when you go under the water your life is in your hands if you buy junk, so do your homework and use your money wise,,,get a good reg to start so you wont have to get another one later on,,,dive safe plan your dive and dive your plan : )
SCUBAU - 12/02/2009 10:00 AM

Paul,

Do not go CHEAP on the regulator, but you do not need to buy the most expensive either. Remember this is life support equipment and probably the most important.

We at SCUBA "U" can make some recommendations if you like. Just shoot me an e-mail at scubau [ at ] rescueteam.com. We sell Atomic, Aeris, Zeagle & Mares.

Hope this helps

John

SCUBA "U"

Hollywoodivers.com - 12/02/2009 1:51 PM
I have some gear from Atomic. Atomic Z-2 is the best bang for the buck.

How soon do you need it we can ship it today. If you want matching sets we have them

Call 877 ok scuba 877 657 2822
Diver84 - 12/03/2009 12:14 AM

Scuba equipment is like cars, you can spend alot and buy a Audi for just the name , or you can spend some money and buy a Ford or Chev and be happy with it. Or you can buy a used car and have the engine rebuilt and it will work perfect. I’ve seen all the above done with scuba equpiment. What it is.
Subscribed
dmmalien - 12/03/2009 10:41 PM
Alot of great posts to my question. You all have given me some things to think about for the wifes gear. I appreciate the girls on here who post about the regs they like because my wife is a whopping 115 lbs and says the regulator in her OW class is too big and doesn’t breathe easy. A problem I have with ALL of the LDS around me is that ALL of them only show me their most expensive regs and say that is what I need. I ask about the cheaper regs and nobody has ever talked to me about their cheaper items. All I hear from the sales people is "You don’t want that." Very frustrating.
Diver84 - 12/03/2009 11:33 PM

Go with sherwood, very very cheap and also very good to use.
Dolphins - 12/05/2009 11:49 AM

In diving, I believe you really get what you pay for. Unless she does ice diving, I don’t think you need to sell the farm, but there are regulators that are made special for cold water diving. Some regulators are made out of titanium to ensure longer lasting if she does a lot of salt water diving. If she only goes maybe 5 times a year, I would think a cheaper one would be fine. Anymore than that, I would suggest one a little more expensive to ensure reliability, and less maintance.
pinkladydi - 12/05/2009 9:43 PM

i started with used gear and tried many brands , I now dive with a Sherwood Oasis, you can pinch a few pennies on the octo if your not worried about needing it as her dive buddy LOL

I also got a seacure mouthpiece, custom fit to my mouth