Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Pinnacle Drysuits
nauidiver - 11/01/2009 1:02 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 9

I am very new to dry suits, in fact I’m going to be taking my dry suit class very soon. I have the chance to pick up a new Pinnacle Dry suit real cheap from our scuba shop at key man pricing. I wanted to ask advice & opinion’s on Pinnacle Dry suits. I have & love a Pinnacle Wetsuit but again, I know nothing about the dry suit world yet.

Thanks,
- Dale
DalelynnSims - 11/01/2009 2:08 PM

Dry suit types are as unique as each manufactuer out there. With different material and different uses for each. Pinnacle drysuits are not bad as dry suits go but may I suggest that you speak to those that dive different types of suites, do some research and then try a few before you purchase one as it is an expence that you have to live with and a bad dry suit is as good as driving you away from dry suit diving.

Over the past two weeks I have completed 8 dry suit speciality classes and all but one did great, the one needs more work if they intend to get one of their own and I did not hesitate to tell her that. Having been down in a variety of them I currently own a Diverite 905 front entry that is coming up on its third year and has a new set of boots. I have been down in manu DUI and a couple Bear suits and can tell you that they all have a few things different therefore finding one that fits you correctly and provides you what your looking for, for the type of diving you are now and going to do in the future is what I would suggest you base your answer on.

My .02cf worth
hoofpick - 11/01/2009 4:16 PM
Hi Dale, I have use a couple of different dry suits and have seen many others. I currently dive in a U.S.I.A dry suit. I previously had a Harvey’s dry suit. Two really different suits, Harvey’s was a crushed neoprene and the U.S.I.A. is the packed clothe style. The Harvey’s was a back entry and the U.S.I.A. is a front entry. Both require undergarments of some style. The Harvey’s I think was a tad bit warmer but had leaking tendencies, which is not desireable in a dry suit. The U.S.I.A. is a bit more comfortable and the front entry is easier to use i.e. entry and zipping up unassisted. The good point also with the U.S.I.A. suit is that it is basically a custom made suit for the price of a production suit. Also I would recommend going to a weight harness system as opposed to weight belts or weight integrated jackets, personal taste on that. I hope this helps.
digicus - 11/01/2009 6:13 PM

Dale, would highly reccomend the Pinnacle Evolution I. Both the wife and I dive them. Montana, ya know.... 2 seasons... 4th of July and Winter... Trilaminate suit and a temperate undergarment that I can use layers of Thinsulate under to add thermal protection. Trimmable latex wrist and neck seals. Don’t worry if seals are uncomfortable, trim to fit REALLY snug and they will relax a bit after 5-6 dives. Trimmed the wife’s neck seal till her eyes quit bugging out and she could talk again and after a few dives she was fairly comfotable. (Wished I had trimmed a little less) Rear entry hasn’t been a big issue, would be nice to have front zipper if I need to "solo" dive due to lack of dive buddy. Zipper maintenance is same as all other suits. Must clean and lube REGULARLY. We use weight integrated BCs that are trimmed for our 3 mm suits for the Bahamas and use a weight belt to add the extra pounds needed for the dry suit. Suspenders added to the weight belt take the weight and distribute it better. In colder water I use blue "smurf" gloves and bayonet couplers. Warmer water I use 5mm wet gloves for better dexterity. One point of interest is learning to dive with a dry suit. All of the dive authorities (PADI, NAUI) teach students to use dry suit for boyancy control but our teacher taught us to use the BC as you were taught initially and use the dry suit air controls to compensate for squeeze only. You need to use air as an insulating material to enhance the thermal qualities of the undergarmnt anyway. If you squeeze the undergarment down flat against your body, you will be colder. I found it much easier to use one device only for boyancy control and to add just enough air to alleviate squeeze and make sure there is enough air for thermal protection. On ascent you need to swim in a left shoulder high orientation to allow the exhaust valve to function properly.

I have a couple buddies that use Harveys and DUIs but I have found for the wife and I that the Pinnacle has been a very good purchase that has served us both very well for a very modest price. I would highly reccomend the Pinnacle for a modest price dry suit that delivers high performance and is comfortable as well.

Steve

squirt - 11/02/2009 3:24 PM
Dale, I have the Pinnacle Freedom2. I love it. I got a stock size and it works great for the price. I got it about mid season this year and have dove it about 40 times. No issues and it works like a charm. Nice and warm with fourth element under garments! Best of luck with your dry suit and glad to see you taking a course for it. It can get tricky if the suit doesn’t fit exactly right. The course will help you for those situations when the suit doesnt fit perfectly.

Mark
jimran - 11/02/2009 4:57 PM
I have 3 different suits .Bare,Dimond.Usia,,pick a suit that fits your diving and pocket book ,,lots of great suits out there there all do the same for the most ,,lots of good deals for under 1,000 so be smart,,I really like my Bare but the Usia and Dimond cost more ,,they all do the same thing
Subscribed
nauidiver - 11/02/2009 8:37 PM
From jimran: I have 3 different suits .Bare,Dimond.Usia,,pick a suit that fits your diving and pocket book ,,lots of great suits out there there all do the same for the most ,,lots of good deals for under 1,000 so be smart,,I really like my Bare but the Usia and Dimond cost more ,,they all do the same thing

Yeah the scuba shop here is talking about getting a on thats around $2,000.00 at key man pricing for around $300.00 to $500.00
jimran - 11/03/2009 1:27 AM
One suit Usia is light weight and I travel,fly with it, the Dimond is old my 1st suit but still a good suit ,my Bare is new and for colder water with heavy underware I have replaced the seals on the older ones,,all in working order ,,I didnt run out and buy 3 all at one time thats not what I ment sorry
steelheadfish - 11/03/2009 4:19 PM

I am diving the apollo neoprene suits, they are inexpensive( mine was 850 on sale) and it has been very durable. I dive in water temps in the low 50s in summer and its a tee shirt, boxers and wool socks (knee high) and in winter its a set of poly undergarments from cabelas wool socks and im good all winter even if the outside temp is in the teens, our water temp only varies a few degrees between winter and summer. The only thing i dislike are the ankle vents mine close shut but i hear the new ones stay open all the time. I have over 200 dives on mine and no failures yet
Fritz - 11/03/2009 4:45 PM
Dale,
The retail price is always much more than what they (dry suits) sell for. My dry suit retailed at $2700 and I got it for $1275.
It all depends on the suit and the warranty you can get.
Once you go dry, it’s hard to think of getting cold again in a wet suit.
You can get cold in a dry suit as well if you don’t were the right undergarments, but that is something that is learned.
You can overheat in a dry suit as well.
You are doing the right thing by asking questions.