Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Ice Diving
angelookangaroo - 9/14/2009 6:53 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 7

Hey all! One of my goals in scuba is to go ice diving. Has anyone here done it? Good/bad experiences? Any fear of claustrophobia with the ice overhead? I normally only dive dry suit, so I’m set in that department, but I still have some fears that I want to conquer about being trapped under the ice. I think that if I was properly trained I wouldn’t need to worry about this stuff, but it would be great to hear from those who have been through it before.

Angela
Subscribed
Diving4Fun - 9/14/2009 8:30 AM

Hi Angela,

I think your fear (or possible) fear as you describe it more widely seen then one might think. Yet to conquer a fear you have to overcome it by doing it. I was never a confined spaces person, but I find more that I have dove the better it has got. (Swam through a few wrecks, etc.) I think the best thing is to have a good instructor, and then go with people who are experienced and those you trust. I have dove with a few people (not ice diving) once and said forget that. Then on the other hand dove with others that I wish I could dive every time with. Remember a good instructor won’t let students panic or “flip-out” as so nicely put by others. A good instructor will see it coming and comfort (for lack of better words) the student to ensure panic or fear doesn’t set in underwater.

That being said, I say go for it. I intend to sign up for ice diving this winter, as I think it would be awesome! The few people I dive with I haven’t yet to twist their arm to do so, but time will tell. Where are you thinking of taking the classes?

Subscribed
IceCube - 9/14/2009 7:16 PM
I would love to try ice diving. That is one of my diving goals.

From what I’ve read, you and a buddy should always dive tethered with a rope. The rope is monitored by a surface "spotter". When in doubt, you can always follow the rope back to the hole.
Subscribed
Diving4Fun - 9/14/2009 9:27 PM
That is correct. I was in my LDS today and spoke to the instructor about ice diving. What he had to say made me even more interested. Geez, I have never been so excited for winter before!
divemaiden - 9/15/2009 6:47 AM

I tried ice diving with some friends this past winter. One thing I learned, you need a reg that can handle the cold water. Almost as soon as I got in the water, my reg froze up and started free-flowing and I had to abort the dive. But while I was under, I thought it was pretty cool.
drifter12 - 11/10/2009 12:09 PM

I am not an ice diver but have read about it. Be sure you have the properly rated regulator. There were two people drowned at Gilboa Quarry Ohio last year when their regs froze at about 90 ft down and began to free flow. There were three divers down one survived. I am sure your LDS will recommend one. Be Safe ! Ted J>
Subscribed
JeffQCScuba - 7/09/2010 9:52 PM

Did anyone who posted to this thread get a chance to Ice Dive this past winter?? I for one can’t wait to teach my next ice program but am by no means rushing the summer away!!! :-)

J
Subscribed
IceCube - 8/06/2010 4:34 PM
I haven’t taken the class yet. I was out of the country last winter. I’d like to take a class this winter. The only problem it would too close to when my first kid will be born.