Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Hi Pressure Ports
MartinBooth - 5/06/2009 8:16 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 10

I have a Mares regulator with several free low pressure ports but no spare high pressure ports. I want to fit a transmitter for an Oceanic atom watch computer - but it needs a high pressure port and I don’t have one free. Can a low pressure port be adapted? Ideas would be very welcome.
Gander_Will - 5/06/2009 10:55 PM
My guess, from what I understand about 1st Stages, is a resounding no. Nothing about the inner workings of a 1st Stage’s lp port(250psi) could conceivable be done to altered it to accommodate 12-13X it’s former service pressure.

I haven’t done any searching for one, but I think a "splitter" type lug may exist somewhere to give you two hp ports off of the one.

I hope I am being accurate in my presumptions...and that they help.

~Will
Jen-Michael - 5/07/2009 12:33 AM
What’s on the existing HP port(s)? Dry suit and Analog SPG? My first choice would be is there something you can lose? If there is an analog or inline console maybe just go with the Atom.
Second, you actually can split one HP Port into two, won’t be very pretty though as they don’t really make 7/16" splits, but what you’ll need to do is use this this to taper the 7/16" to 3/8", then split with this. Not very pretty, or cheap, but it you can find the split in 7/8" you’ll be set. I don’t know if the sizes on the Mares in Australia are metric and is so whether the split is easier to find in the metric equivalent of 7/16"
The third choice is if you can’t lose what’s on your HP port(s) now and they’re essential to you, it may be time to shell out some cash and invest in a regulator that will do the things you need it to.
Subscribed
MartinBooth - 5/07/2009 8:06 PM
Thanks, that’s very helpful. I am not confident enough in my usage of the Atom to dump my regular console/pressure guage, so ideally I would like to stick with both - which I will be able to do with the splitter.
TColJeep - 5/07/2009 8:40 PM

You didn’t mention which Mares Reg you are using, but most new regulators have at least 2 HP ports. Since you want to keep your current gauge set, this should leave with 1 open HP port. If your current regulator doesn’t have this additional port, it’s time to upgrade to a new1st stage. Adapters and splitters will only give more points for possible leaks or entanglements. Don’t try and cut corners with your life support equipment.
scubaclay - 5/08/2009 2:05 PM
Not only will it not fit but it won’t have enought pressure to work. Check with someone who is tecked on that reg.
Subscribed
MartinBooth - 5/09/2009 1:00 AM
That sounds like good advice. I have a Mares MRX12, but am considering buying a Mares Titanium 1st stage (second hand), which has 2 high pressure ports. What do you think?
Jen-Michael - 5/09/2009 7:07 PM
I don’t know if you are or plan on become Nitrox certified but higher percentages of Oxygen and Titanium don’t get along. It would be alright for most Nitrox mixes I would just watch it the closer to 40% you get (probably won’t be a problem though in that use). Titanium also seems to be a bit of a marketing pitch, "they" claim they corrode less and you don’t have to service them annually, but I have chrome plated brass regs in my house older than me that are still in perfect working order and are barely showing signs of age; and about that annual service thing, O-rings, and diaphrams aren’t made of titanium and still require service. I do love my Apeks XTX regs though, but you need to check on what brands can be serviced locally in a timely fashion, and make a list of things you need in a regulator now and try to foresee into the future and what you’ll need then.
georoc01 - 5/12/2009 12:21 PM

I have 2 HP ports, one with my SPG and one with the Atom Transmitter.

Do you have only 1 HP port or if you have 2, what is on the 2nd port? Everything else I have runs of an LP port.
scubaclay - 5/12/2009 1:32 PM
Mares is very good gear, be careful if you are using Nitrox, and Titanium togeather. If your LDS does in tank mixing it may cause problems, titanium and oxg do not get along.
Subscribed
MartinBooth - 5/12/2009 11:49 PM
I only have one HP port, with my SPG on it. I am not all that experienced so I do not want to dump my SPG and rely only on the Atom yet, hence I am looking at 1st stages with 2 HP ports.