Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Red Sea Diving???
scubachika - 5/05/2009 7:07 PM
Category: General
Replies: 16

I’m diving on a live a board in July in the Red Sea.......haven’t been able to find ANY Americans that have done this before............has anyone been?? Would love to chat, please email me.
m_grieco - 5/09/2009 12:42 PM

I have dove the Red Sea...I didn’t do it on a live-aboard though, I stayed in Sharm el Shiekh (Oonas Dive Club) and dove out of there. Is the live-aboard doing a more northerly or southerly route (or both). In Sharm, I really enjoyed diving some of the sites of Ras Mohammed National Park and my favorite areas was the Straits of Tiran (composed of four differnt reefs). Check out my pictures to get a taste of what its like underwater there, I had a blast. The summer months are supposed to be a good time to see sharks there...I went this past March (March 21st thru April 1st) and didn’t see any sharks. Hope to chat about the Red Sea with you soon.

Mike
Subscribed
scubachika - 5/09/2009 3:33 PM
Thank you for your posting..........I hoping the sea isn’t rough and weather is hot. I’ve never been "at sea" for a full week and a bit nervous about sea sickness. Also, not a popular dest. for Americans. Hard to find people that have been. Nice photos. Looks a lot like the Carribbean waters did you think? Thanks again, Dori
m_grieco - 5/09/2009 5:15 PM
Red Sea is WAY more colorful underwater than the Caribbean. Caribbean is very limited with the soft corals and anenomes, Red Sea has far more variety of corals and fish. I have been to both Bonaire and Roatan (both great places in their own right) but you’ll see...the Red Sea is just different. Although I have to say of all the places I’ve been, Indonesia had the largest level of diversity...it’s really like sensory overload. 
Alberto - 5/10/2009 6:40 AM
We,me and sons,dived there in Last July livea board.You´ll be able to dive 20 to 25 in the week or 4 dives a day.It´s very hardcore for your body,and since you re an American Woman you must consider that it couldn´t be safe to frolick alone goin´to the flea,papirus and parfums markets like Khan el Khalili.Museuns and pyramids are always scorted by tourist nannies(don´t laugh;you are a pale face in country that the most people pretend to speak English,so you´ll be a kid lost in a crowd).Trust the hotel staff and restaurants (at the hotel)because it seems they are the only CC acceptance business there.In Sharm,you´ll have a more western atmosphere and snorkeling is fine.But even some rests and shops don´t accept CC there,except for dive shops like Camel dive and Dive shops at hotels.Concerning to dive safety,it´s possible to dive 4 times a day,but consider Eanx and constant hydration(yes,bring your own water bottle everywhere).There are some sharkdive ,but for only affortunates,because they are deep blue dive and you´ll can see dark blue bellow and light blue up and around,so set your Maxdepth alarm carefully and eye on those sharks at 20m below or far in your depth and the other in the bottom timer and gas pressure.So instructors will evaluate you week UW before to decide that you can dive there.Enjoy Thistlegorm wreck and frankly,study the blue print carefully at your house to enjoy strolling around and see tanks,rifles and bikes of WWII . It´s wonderful!
Peter1501 - 5/10/2009 12:39 PM
i did one about a month ago , i loved it , who are you going with????
Subscribed
scubachika - 5/10/2009 4:52 PM
I’m going with my best friend from England and a bunch from her dive shop. She is a dive instructor. Unfortunately, we are only doing 1 week on the live a board, no land time.......did you enjoy the diving? Is the sea rough?? Thanks for your input, Dori
Subscribed
scubachika - 5/10/2009 4:54 PM
Thanks for you advice......unfortunately, we don’t have anytime on land. We are only doing the live a board (Blue Melody), northern wreks and reefs.......so, specifically, what did you think of the diving as being at sea for a week straight?? Was is calm or did anyone deal with seasickness. How was the water temp. and Outside weather. I am an experienced diver but never been on a live a board so any advice you can provide will be helpful to me. Thank you again, Dori
Alberto - 5/10/2009 8:39 PM
So you´ll have a flight from London to Sharm.It´s nice.Read about liveaboard dives at www.scubadiving.com .Prepare some spare stuff like remedies,batteries and so on.Life or dive begins at 7 AM,to have enough SI to degass.Even using a DC,consider Eanx,if you are able to and don´t forget to set the DC to Eanx dive if you are eager to dive 4 day. Don´t worry,no tsunamis or hurricanes there and in July ,ocean waer was very warm(27°C) but in 4 dives you can feel chill.
Subscribed
scubachika - 5/10/2009 8:52 PM
Prepare with Remedies??? What’s that, sorry..........would you say the sea is calm then?? Thanks again, Dori :)
Alberto - 5/11/2009 5:24 AM
Well,even with a placid sea you can have headaches,seasickness,diarrea,back pain,buises,etc and don´t forget your own meds for birth control,diabetes,HBP ,etc.There are limitations till to 100 ml for personal package in the flight,but if bottles don´t have above 100ml written,they don´t throw away.Have a medical prescription for any drug you carry. 
VaDiver95 - 5/12/2009 2:58 PM

here’s a video link...not mine though. Look for Andrew Georgitsis and Red Sea on youtube and see what he’s posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E465Cy_-5jU&feature=PlayList&p=D1F7E5C02F492D32&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6
mo - 5/15/2009 4:37 AM

Hi, the member that can give you all the info you will ever need on the Red Sea is Adel http://www.divebuddy.com/profile.aspx?MemID=2317 he is a nice guy and i’m sure he can help, have a great time in Egypt

Mo
Subscribed
scubachika - 5/15/2009 3:44 PM
Thank you!!! Dori
Peter1501 - 5/16/2009 10:40 AM

Blue Melody , i was on the blue fin , two of the three blue o two fleet, they are great boats, do not worry about not being on land for a week as you are on a diving holiday , i promise you will love it .....

Peter1501 - 5/16/2009 10:41 AM

mail me i will send you some pics and tell you more about it

peter1501 [ at ] sky.com