Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Bonaire in Mid July
OLDSCHOOL - 4/28/2009 7:00 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 4

I’ll be making my first trip to Bonaire from 18-26 July,staying at Buddy Dive. Can anyone tell me how extensive is the reef damage from the last hurricane? Also, I plan on diving with a 2 mil shorty. I’m sure a full suit would be better for protection during entry/exit, but as far as warmth, would a 2 mil surfise? I tolerate cold fairly well (diving a 5 mil in 59 deg.). I plan on making 4 dives per day. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Bob01 - 4/29/2009 7:34 AM
From May thru September I always wear a 2 mil shortie and I never get cold. I do get a lot of cuts and bruises but I hate dealing with a full wetsuite. I don’t do very many deep dives on Bonaire because I like to take lots of pics and most of the marine life seem to be around the edge of the reef down to about 60’. You’re going to love buddys. Have a good trip.
Subscribed
OLDSCHOOL - 4/29/2009 11:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback. July can’t get here fast enough....
NateNC - 5/01/2009 8:04 PM
I was there January 08. I wore a 3mil suit all week and was fine, never cold. I would have been ok with my 3 mil shorty, but didn’t take it. Some of the entries are rocky and a full suit may help you keep from getting scratched up if you lose your balance and fall. You will love Bonaire if you’ve never been. The reefs were fantastic and lots and lots of critters. The reef in front of Buddy’s is easy to night dive and very fun. The drive through tank station is great... One of my favorite sites was Oil Slick Leap. If you haven’t gotten the guide for the sites it is a great investment...Tells about best entries ...exits and tips for diving each site...I’m at the beach house for the weekend and am drawing a blank on the authors name but if you want it just let me know and I’ll shoot it to you when I get back Monday.
Subscribed
OLDSCHOOL - 5/02/2009 9:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I have "Diving and Snorkeling Bonaire" by Tim Rock. It seems to cover all the dive sites well with additional info about the island, history, etc. I also have "Reef Fishes, Corals, and Invertebrates of the Caribbean" by Elizabeth Wood and Lawson Wood to brush up on fish identification. I am inhaling anything I can get my hands on about Bonaire....