Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Best diving North America
dayton72 - 4/13/2009 3:57 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 13

Can anyone tell me where the best diving is in North America on the Alantic side. We live in North Carolina so pretty much in the middle.
scubaclay - 4/13/2009 5:25 PM
If you haven’t tried NJ you should.

Clay
TracyF - 4/13/2009 7:41 PM
If I’m not mistaken there’s a German U Boat about 25 miles out from Moorehead City. Depth is about 115’ so not for the newbes like me....yet
Subscribed
dayton72 - 4/13/2009 7:54 PM
yes have heard about it but want to get certifed in NITROX first but thanks
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/14/2009 8:27 AM
From scubaclay: If you haven’t tried NJ you should.

Clay

Having done both NC diving is just like NJ diving only with warmer water, better vis, sharks, more fish and tropical fish. You don’t really need NITROX for NC but it will give more bottom time and at $100 a trip you will want to stay down.

SC has some good wrecks, Ga. has a few and Grays reef, SE FL has artificial reefs and then there are the real reefs in the Keys
fmichaelk - 4/14/2009 1:00 PM
Hi:
 I may be prejudiced, but I really enjoy the diving in Fort Lauderdale. We shore dive a lot because it is inexpensive and lacks a rigid schedule. There are three reef lines that run from West Palm Beach to Miami and the first such reef line is readily accessible from the shore. The dive under the Blue Heron Bridge can be quite interesting, albeit quite shallow, as well. My favorite shore dive is the Inside Reef at Lauderdale by the Sea, which as the name suggests in West of the first of the three major reefline. I have seen rays, nurse sharks, eels, turtles and octopus on this reef, which is only 50 yards off the shore. On calm evenings or early mornings, it is an excellent night dive.

The Bridge [ at ] Cordova offers a large studio apartment with en suite bath, kitchenette and semi-private patio for $400 - 450 per week, including tanks, weights and refills. We take you shore diving as often as you wish and can arrange for a boat to take you to one of the many wrecks sunk off the shore as part of the Broward County Aritificial Reef Program. Boat trips are usually $60 for a two tank dive: a 60 - 100 ft wreck and a 60 ft reef. We also offer the PADI curicculum at discounted rates for registered guests of the hotel. See the website: www.bridgeatcordova.com.

Michael
Bridge [ at ] Cordova
scubaclay - 4/14/2009 1:59 PM

Have done the U352 on air, to short of a bottom time, Nitrox 32 is the best for that dept. It is one of the best dives I’ve done.
csemenko - 4/14/2009 11:06 PM
If you don’t mind the traveling (flying is my recommendation)...Florida offers some great diving. There are a few lake/river dives and loads of ocean diving both Atlantic and Gulf side. Diving off the Keys is what I have the most knowledge of/experience with and I enjoyed every bit of it. I’ll also shoot a copy of your posting to one of my Divebuddies from the East Coast (we dove in Texas together), she might have some good suggestions. Good luck.- Chuck
Jeanne - 4/15/2009 5:26 AM
On the East Coast (from SC-NY) you need to like ship wrecks. If you are into coral reefs, drift diving, lobster hunting, head directly to Florida (West Palm thru the Keys). Jeanne
LONGTAILBDA - 4/15/2009 11:49 AM
You have some of the best diving right there. Warm water, great wrecks ans lots of sea life. Come on up to NJ we have great wrecks here as well but the water is little cold on the bottom. 
DalelynnSims - 4/16/2009 7:34 AM
Fresh Water try Lake Rawlings [ at ] www.lakerawlings.com tell them I sent ya
Subscribed
tjbrowndiver - 4/16/2009 9:20 AM
I’ve dove the U-352 and used a nitrox 29. It is an awsome dive but really deep. I had a twenty minute bottom time with the nitrox 29% and my max depth was 125’. Scuba Clay and Jeanna said it best about the diving North of Florida. You have to like wrecks and the Moorhead city is some of the best ones. NJ has great wrecks but the water is about 10 degrees colder than NC. Conditions at both can be rough as far as seas and about 1/3 of the planned dives don’t get made.
gepdiv - 4/30/2009 5:54 PM
You should do the ones in NC they are great, you can use Discovery Diving,or Olimpus Dive shop. warm water great vis a little on the deep side for alot of bottom time. U-352, Papoos,Atlas,Caribe Sea ,Spar
NateNC - 5/01/2009 8:26 PM
Ditto...NC diving...you will need Deep and Wreck specialties before you go...Nitrox will extend your bottom time slightly. The boat rides are a couple hours out and a couple hours back, but very cool stuff...We are getting overrun with Lionfish and they are EVERYWHERE now. Lots of sandtigers too. Discovery Diving in Beaufort does a nice job.