Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Safety question
diverchet - 4/06/2009 8:55 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 8

What should the boat tender do if the anchor line breaks or if they need to move the boat with divers underwater? On a windy day on big water staying close to the dive site and not hitting surfacing divers is my worry. 
ScubaGal - 4/07/2009 2:21 PM
If you have to move the boat for any reason while anchored and there are divers below, how about putting a buoy ball on the line?
Subscribed
diverchet - 4/08/2009 9:30 AM
That works for me or I guess I could put a marker out before we start the dive. Thanks
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 4/08/2009 12:44 PM
From diverchet:

What should the boat tender do if the anchor line breaks or if they need to move the boat with divers underwater? On a windy day on big water staying close to the dive site and not hitting surfacing divers is my worry. 

whatever you do ;; never, never, never....start the engine on a dive site !

if you are worried about BREAKING the anchor rode, you should inspect the ENTIRE line before deployment. a bouy ball will help, but I would hope that you set up a drift line , off aft with a bouy ball. if you do break off a mooring - drift away from the divesite , when you see ALL divers up top-fire up the engine come around to the high side of the wind/waves... and DRIFT into the site for pick up...
Pixel - 4/09/2009 2:58 AM
Whenever I’ve been on a boat dive, we use a buoy line to go down with.

After that, the divemaster has a SMB which the divers follow up when they surface. The boat stays stationary with engine off, and only when the group has moved to far, does he move a little bit closer, but other than that he keeps an eye on the Dm’s SMB and when a diver pops up, he comes over and picks up the diver. Then sits on the water again, no engine and keeps an eye on the SMB waiting for more divers to surface. Obviously the Dm, is last to surface, or the instructor is there is one.

Our saying has always been, if you can’t see the DM, you are the one that is lost.
Subscribed
diverchet - 4/13/2009 7:19 PM
The boat and all lines and accessories are brand new including the nondivers we’ll be using for boat tenders. You’re info is most appricated as I want everyone involved on the same page at all times. I’m also thinking of using 3 hits on the ladder repeated to call all divers back to the boat. I don’t recall any charter I’ve been on covering this. Florida West did have an uw pa system.
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 4/13/2009 7:45 PM
do you remember the series-FLIPPER

j c whitney still sells the old hand activated oooohhgggaaa horn... 

now theres a good recall signal. if it calls dolphins it should work for divers .... lol
Pixel - 4/15/2009 8:12 AM
Question: If the boat doesn’t follow the divers, doesn’t that restrict the diving for the divers?
IE: forcing them to stay within a certain area so that they are near the boat.
I’d think that the divers would want to explore as much as possible in the amount of air time they have.
Subscribed
diverchet - 4/15/2009 8:35 PM
We’re mostly diving shipwrecks in SW Lake Michigan I’ve only found sandy bottom when leaving a wreck. I don’t think any drift diving is done here.