Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Meals before diving?
1maurscuba - 4/04/2009 1:05 PM
Category: General
Replies: 17

Hi, looking for advice on best meals to eat and not what to eat before diving!! Thanks.
scubajoe - 4/04/2009 2:17 PM
I always have somthing light fruit,maybe yogert,don’t want somthing heavy on your stomach when your rolling around on the dive boat hope this is of some help
Rich-D-Fish - 4/04/2009 4:31 PM
Stay away from anything greasy and heavy...as my father-in-law found out after eating an Egg-McMuffin for breakfast. Made for a long trip with little diving for him.
SCUBASMITTY - 4/05/2009 12:29 AM
morning dives ?? COFFEE FOR ME ! FRUIT AND JUICE FOR OTHERS !

AFTERNOON ? SALAD AND CRACKERS IS THE WAY TO GO !

SALAD FOR BREAKFAST?? -UUUHHH, OK JUST TIP WELL !!

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR DRAMAMINE AT HAND !!
wcarlile - 4/05/2009 3:37 AM

nothing grease for me. I have got sick from it

wes
Triggerfish - 4/05/2009 8:18 AM
Cereal in the morning (Speical K ) topped off with a banana, then oranges on the dive boat till you get back, haven’t feed the fish yet on this diet
uwlover4u - 4/05/2009 9:18 AM
I must have a cast iron stomach because I have never gotten sick even in the roughest seas. So I eat my usual breakfast, ham and egg omelet, home fries, toast, and coffee.
seawolfdiving - 4/05/2009 10:07 AM
Beans.... Lots-O-Beans
scubaclay - 4/05/2009 3:40 PM
I usually eat light, something like a buttered roll, and a banana. I try not to eat anything greasy when I’m going on a boat. I also avoid egg products.

Clay
Dean810 - 4/05/2009 5:00 PM
If I am on a boat, the meds seems to work for me so I like bacon and eggs and whatever for breakfast. I get hungry when I go diving, so I like something that will stick with me. I avoid coffee. It is a diuretic, as well as a natural laxative for me, and I don’t need either when I’m diving!
sps3006 - 4/05/2009 8:57 PM
Well I really don’t get motion sickness and can eat anything before and while on a boat... but the grease is a good thing to avoid anyway. Your complex carbs are a really good choice along with a protein and a sugar..... prefferably fruitous... The perfect dive food... P&J sandwich on a multi whole grain bread!! Easy to pack, small space, no need to keep it in a refer...
Pixel - 4/06/2009 9:52 AM
From Dean810: If I am on a boat, the meds seems to work for me

Which meds??
I’ve tried almost everything for boat diving, still get as sick as a dog!! Eating, not eating, just liquid (passed through my reg easier).
toodive4 - 4/07/2009 7:09 AM

Olah,

Eat what you like... just not in abundance... and avoid alcohol, greasy food and caffeine products.

Usually I’ll eat something like a banana and other fruits (nanas are good cause they contain potassium and keep you from getting leg cramps... they also can settle your stomach.) Then I throw in something like my favorite crackers (chees or peanut butter) and have some liquids... either water, lemonade or a gatorade type drink... these are the best things for hydration...

Hope that helps... Happy Diving...
DiveBuddyChgo - 4/08/2009 9:49 PM
Take the meds 1 hour before getting on the boat... And don’t worry about what you eat.. Mike B.
muddiver - 4/14/2009 12:10 PM
I usually have some sort of carbohydrate because that is what you will burn first as you dive. Bagles are good. I also try to stay away from acidic drinks like citrus juice and coffee. Go with something that will fight stomach acid. Black cherry juice is best because it is more alkaline.
kalidescoperain - 4/29/2009 1:20 AM
I have cast iron stomach I guess, cofee and bacon/egg/cheese croissant. I get dry mouth and have to drink a ton of water no matter if I skip the coffee or not.
gepdiv - 4/30/2009 5:35 PM
Before a dive I never eat anything with alot of acid oranges grapefruit etc. Our boat rides are generaly 2 hours or more I don’t like to take dramimine ,it makes me sleepy I will take tums or pepto ,I haven’t been sick yet.