Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

How / where do YOU attach assessories to your BC
ScubaTeve - 4/02/2009 9:40 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 17

It seems that we all have a unique way in which we attach accessories to our BC and I would like to have a straw poll to see where we might have common or separate preferences.

Please respond with a listing of each item that you attach such as computer / gauge, octopus, knife, camera, scissors, line / reel, lamp, etc. and listing where and how each are connected (type of attachment, type of connector) .

My BC - Cressi S 116
Octopus: small rubber piece, square at each end on second D ring my right side. One ’square’ mounted over itself over the D ring, mouthpiece secures within the ’external square’
Knife: mounted on my left BC fabric just above my left side pocket (screwed on).
Gauge Unit: retractable clip on second D ring my right side.
Currently: Pre-dive I tend to clip my flashlight and camera (when not using a slave flash) to a small D ring at my side pocket and then also into the pocket. One in either pocket. Once in the water the camera gets moved to my wrist then clipped to the left BC strap ring (fairly good distance indicator when held at length). The flashlight probably should find a better home on a D ring for both pre-dive and during the dive.
Greg - 4/02/2009 11:36 AM
I attach a small knife to the right shoulder strap. A rubber band device, used to attach my alternate second stage regulator, to the D ring of the right shoulder strap. A whistle to the ribbed inflate/deflate hose on the left side. Slate, foldable snorkel, and sometimes a safety tube, in my pockets.
Rich-D-Fish - 4/02/2009 12:06 PM
I prefer my knife in the center of my chest where either hand can reach it easily, attached to my chest strap.

Compass on a retractor.

Octo is integrated into my power inflator. (one less hose)

Computer is wireless (one more less hose)

Dive light mounted to my camera tray to use one handed if needed (love this)

Whistle on my shoulder strap

Safety sausage out of the way on a d-ring under my air cell by my rear end :-)
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 4/02/2009 1:00 PM
IM old school I guess, my knife is on my lower right leg.

I have an emer pocket on my left thigh (contains mirror,s/s, whistle,)and on the same straps i have my spare air bottle.

octo is on the lower right d-ring connected to my pony bottle(on/open)

gauges on my left d-ring with retractor.

and my camera(when I take one) is in the center of my wait strap/cumber bun,

with a bigger retractor,when i swim my hands are always there on the camera/light.pull forward, snap-pic, and back.

csemenko - 4/02/2009 1:06 PM
I use a pistol lanyard (rubberized coil) to connect my compass/slate combo, brass clips (dual ended) to keep my alternate close to my body and if I wear gauges brass clips to keep them close to my body (I have a hoseless wrist computer gauges are my back up for big trips) the brass clips attach to my D-Rings. I use the lanyard from my flashlights through the D-Ring and then the flash light through the lanyard to keep them attached.

When I wear a knife/cutting tool (Seat Belt cutter) it is attached with a hook and loop (velcro) strap. I have a small third back up light attached to my shoulder strap with a hook and loop strap.
Subscribed
ScubaSteve63 - 4/02/2009 4:49 PM
knife - inverted on my right BC shoulder strap

console - retractor to my right BC shoulder strap

regulator - coil laynard to left BC shoulder strap

dive light - lower right BC D-ring

catch bag/flag reel - quick release attached to my lower left BC D-ring

octo - intergrated
LatitudeAdjustment - 4/03/2009 9:45 AM
I’m using OMS pockets on a BP&W

The console is clipped to a D-ring on my waist, everything else is in a pocket.

On a WPB dive my daughter and I surfaced in 4-6 waves and no boat was in sight. Her safety sausage clipped on the outside of her BC had a snag hole in it and there is nothing worse than a limp sausage!

My sausage is in a pocket to protect it and tied to a small D-ring on the pocket, also tied onto that same line from that pocket are my strobe, marker light, mirror and whistle.
Bigdogdown - 4/03/2009 2:05 PM
This is where I really start believing in the Hogarth /DIR principles, not to disrespect anybody’s setup but mine seems so simple in comparison.

On my single tank setup;
Single 2" webbing weave on SS backplate and wing. With a crotch strap
Primary second stage on a 7’ hose down my right side around the BACK of my neck and in my mouth.
Secondary (octo) on necklace on a 22" hose.
Computer right wrist
Slates/compass Left wrist
Lift Bag in a sleeve attached to the bottom of the plate.
Analog brass and glass SPG clipped to left D ring
OMS line cutter knife on waistbelt
Primary light canister on waistbelt ALL the way to the right to the backplate
Assesscories in Right thigh pocket
Finger spool on backside crotchstrap D-ring
Safety Sausage in one of the bungees on my wing (I’ve switched to an OMS 60# banded wing for right now)
Wreck reels attached to right D ring
Backup lights on each chest d ring and rubber banded to chest strap.

Now that I write that all down maybe it doesn’t seem all that simple lol.
UWPyrate - 4/09/2009 3:44 PM
Knife: zip tied to a D ring on my right shoulder

Computer: On magnetic bungee clipped to the same D- ring

Octo: Integrated to the power inflator

Safety Sausage: clipped to a D-ring under my left pocket

Slate: bungee on D-ring over my left pocket

Light: Inside my right pocket, or on a lanyard on my right wrist when in use.

Snorkel: I use the keeper to attach it to a D-ring under my right pocket. It’s out of the way unless I need it.
Kemperite - 4/12/2009 9:45 AM
My primary knife is a Beta Titanium in a neoprene wrap on the INSIDE of my leg. Mine goes on the left leg but if you are left handed then your right leg would be a better place. If you dive in a current then you’ll want your knife to be inside so it doesn’t cause drag. If you dive in an area with grabby things then having it inside prevents entanglement.

My secondary dive knife is on my left shoulder strap - This is a Titanium Remora so the holster is screwed into my BCD strap exactly where I want it. This placement means that both hands should be able to reach either knife and the knives are placed so that should I become entangled (the secondary reason for a knife - primary is to cut a bad diver’s air hose) then I should be able to reach at least one with one of my hands.

If I’m diving with a buddy then almost all of the buddies I take carry the EMT shears. I don’t because I haven’t found a pair in Titanium yet. I seriously hate to wash my knives/cutters after each dive.

I don’t believe in cable or line "Retractors". That thing will take a finger off should you get one wrapped. Worse yet they don’t hold steady in a current and suddenly your gear is behind you rather than at your side. For my light, camera, other large item I use: leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUTCL.html You unclip the middle connector and you have a full arms length extension of your device. Clip it back together and the coil no longer has a say so your device is back against your body. Notice that I choose the one with the brass clip rather than the plastic.

A safety sausage is mandatory. End of discussion. I clip mine where I can reach it on a D ring near my bottom. leisurepro.com/Prod/BLRDBS.html

My octo is held on the LEFT shoulder D ring using a leisurepro.com/Prod/BLRDBS.html from Dive Rite. I go left shoulder (across the chest) because in a current using the right side leaves too much hose to flutter in the ocean. Pulling it in tight streamlines my body and gear while ensuring that the hose doesn’t catch on any grabbies inside the wreck. I dove with it connected on the right side for many years before I saw myself on video and watched the hose waving at me in a serious current.

Thus, my Aeris Atmos AI computer console with compass crosses my chest to hook on my right shoulder D ring (UNDER the Octo!) using an item similar to leisurepro.com/Prod/UQLF.html (mine uses a tight bungee material so I have some pull for when I need to read the gauges). This connects to leisurepro.com/Prod/UQBL.html - I have one of those on each of my BCD’s so that if I have my computer and a BCD it will always tie together. This means that should I need to use my compass to navigate I can disconnect the two clips and my compass is then easy to use at full arms length and away from metal interference. When I’m done with compass I simply clip the two clips back together (UNDER my Octo) and I’m streamlined and assume a proper diving position in the water.

Constructive discussion is welcome. Calling me out for being different than you with no logical sound reason is simply unacceptable. Try this configuration in a confined setting first. Crossing hoses takes thought to ensure you keep the proper hose on top and you can egress your gear in an emergency.
Kemperite - 4/12/2009 9:46 AM
My gear also has a lift bag (in a Dive Rite pouch attacked to lower rear of BCD harness) and a reel (I use reels made by Larry Green - you can purchase them yourself through Joel Silverstein’s company Tech Diving Limited) and a whistle (Fox40). If your Dive Mask has coated lenses (I have contrast lenses with a special coating on the glass) then you don’t need a signal mirror. The mask can be used as such. If you are on an expedition then a personal EPIRB becomes a requirement. If you are simply exploring a remote location then a Pinger becomes your only real hope (these are so freakin’ cool!).

On that note, I also never wear a snorkel. My snorkel doesn’t have a purpose at 30 FSW any more than it does at 300 FSW. I don’t snorkel - I dive. If I’m diving Recreational then my AI computer keeps a firm grasp of my air and I have no excuses for running out. In a current a snorkel will turn your mask completely sideways on your face. Get a folding snorkel and for those of you with pockets feel free to keep it in your BCD pocket. If you are diving Lake Travis or what have you then a snorkel can be worn without causing issues but if you are diving the Gulf Stream and it’s ripping then in no time your mask will be cocked on your head like a gang-bangers hat.

Constructive discussion is welcome. Calling me out for being different than you with no logical sound reason is simply unacceptable.
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 4/12/2009 1:14 PM
From Kemperite: the secondary reason for a knife - primary is to cut a bad diver’s air hose

this can be taken in one of two ways.....would you please clarify this statement ?
muddiver - 4/13/2009 11:30 AM
Humm....

Dive knife is a folding, blunt tip knife with a line/strap cutting hook - in scabbard on waits belt of BC on left side of belt buckle.

SP gauge, compass, computers on HP hose then clipped with a retractor to right side D ring on BC shoulder strap.

Boat dive safety kit in DiveRite clipper pouch on BC waist belt around right side - Includes signal mirror, storm whistle, surface marker and white strobe light.

Dive light, when needed, attaches to right shoulder strap D ring on BC with a nylon lanyard, then hangs via a snap clip attached to the handle of light - Either a UK C4 or D6 light.

Camera is stowed in a DiveRite horizontal zipper pouch on front of BC on waist strap, unless I am using the strobe. Then it just gets clipped off to a D ring on my left side BC shoulder strap.

Any other tools/accessories that I might carry for a particular dive just get clipped off on an open D ring. I have plans for a cave/wreck spool in the future that I will probably stow in some sort of pouch or pocket. I am also planning to get some X-shorts so I will have some extra storage.
Bigdogdown - 4/15/2009 2:27 PM
Well I don’t know after all I haven’t been blessed with the kneeling to the SCUBA god but , even though I was a paramedic, National Registry EMT-P, and Instructor Coordinator in Michigan, tech deep, trimix, advanced deco certified, advanced nitrox, rescue diver and a whole host of other certs that make my fingers cramp to type all out. I can’t remember for the life of me ANY training agency or instructor that would advocate crossing hoses. Seems to me that could get awfully confusing in an underwater situation. I keep everything the same between my single and double tank rigs, for the simple facts that everything is VERY streamlined and easy to get to. And oh yeah about four training agencies suggest something similar so maybe when I come to rescue someone that person might not get confused. But then again I’m not an instructor so I wouldn’t know any better than some SCUBA god on here that makes you dance to his whim just to be one of his buddies. All I KNOW is that if someone, no matter how I dove, cut MY air line they’d have a LOT more to worry about then who they select for buddies or how their gear was set up.
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 4/15/2009 9:44 PM
ditto !!!
Subscribed
ScubaTeve - 4/16/2009 9:04 AM
Great comments and I think that it is very interesting to read or see the differences that we have in setting up our ’rigs’ like having a dive-boat full of experts enter your living room.

One of the interesting observations that I see is that we each seem evolve our best set up and that we each seem willing to make a change to make our diving experience better; at some point we develop our system for our best dive experience.

This forum may also bring to light the other side of the coin where our buddy check is a great time to get a little history about your buddy’s rig and talk about why and how certain accessories are attached. This may ensure that your checkout is thorough and also may give you an idea of your buddies diving style and history. Always a good thing.

Keep the great comments and descriptions coming.
OLDSCHOOL - 5/02/2009 9:28 PM
Octopus - around my neck on a necklace of surgical tubing.
Pressure Gauge - clipped on to the left side of my bc above the pocket where I can just glance down and read it.
Compass - mounted to a homemade paddle with an extended lubber line, clipped to a ring on the bc’s left shoulder.
Knife - mounted upside down on the right bc strap buckle with stainless steel nuts and bolts. Lays very flat, out of the way, but readily available.
Shears - in a sheath mounted outside the left bc pocket.
SMB/Finger Spool - clipped to the right side of the bc above the pocket.
Backup Light - Inside right bc pocket.