Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Warm water shore diving options
Leslie - 3/29/2009 3:41 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 11

I am in search of more shore diving destinations. Bonaire has been our destination of choice for the last 6 dive trips we’ve taken, and it’s on the calendar again the end of May. I’m a horrible boat traveler (spend most of the time hanging over the side or looped on motion sickness meds), so places with a variety of shore diving locations is a must. We love Bonaire, but I’d like some other options. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
OLDSCHOOL - 3/29/2009 7:54 PM
Hi Leslie,
I can recommend Oahu. I lived there from 90 to 94 and all but a very few dives I made were shore dives. Where depends on the time of the year you are there. The north shore is really nice but not very divable during the winter, hence the surfing competitions held there in December. My favorite two spots on north shore are Sharks Cove and Halieva Trench. During the winter time, we dived mostly at Eternity Beach and Electric Beach. Anyway, there are plenty of very nice dive spots easily accessable by shore. Make sure you have thick soled booties to walk over volcanic rock which can be very sharp.
Bob01 - 3/29/2009 8:00 PM
Leslie...have you looked into Curacao? I read that they have good shore diving on the Island. My last eight dive trips have been in Bonaire so I know what you mean about the no schedules of shore diving.
Subscribed
Leslie - 3/29/2009 8:04 PM
Thanks for the reply! We’ve been considering Oahu, so it’s nice to know we’re on the right track. We usually try to dive in Nov, Jan, and April and/or May. Sounds like Nov and Jan are out. Would either April or May be good there? 
Subscribed
Leslie - 3/29/2009 8:07 PM

We’ve heard that there is pretty good shore diving on Curacao, but that the crime rate is rather high. Have you heard the same?
Bob01 - 3/30/2009 8:10 AM
I’ve never been there but from what I read, it’s about the same as Bonaire. It seems that petty theft is the norm on the ABC Islands.
SchlackerRat - 3/30/2009 3:31 PM

Leslie,

One of my children and I also have some problems using a boat to dive from. I’m also planning a trip to Maui over X-mas this year. I choose Maui because of the number of "Shore Diving" locations. I’m using this link to plan the locations (Dive Sites) while where there:

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/index.htm

I also used that website on a recent trip to Monterey Bay for the same needs.

I hope this helps.
Subscribed
Leslie - 3/30/2009 5:41 PM
Perfect! I’m going to check out the site right now-end of the month paperwork can wait. Thanks! 
Rich-D-Fish - 3/31/2009 9:36 AM
Leslie, have you tried "the patch" for your sea sickness? I’m like you. I get sick standing on the dock just looking at the boat. I tried every remedy known to mankind. I finally went to my doctor and got a prescription for the Scopamine patch. The first time I tried it we had rough seas, and I was the only one who didn’t get sick. Extra lunch for me :-) It was the first time I could go below deck to use the head or eat my included food. For me, after insurance, they cost $25 for four patches. I cut mine in half for a short trip, or use the whole patch for an all or multi day trip. It’s best to put it on the night before. I find I am a little drowsey the morning of the dive when I first wake up (feels like you were drinking the night before), but that wears off in fresh air by the time you hit the boat. 100% cure. You should try it. Might open up your diving world like it did mine.
Subscribed
Leslie - 3/31/2009 10:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes, I have tried it. It and everything else, both traditional and alternative. The only thing that works for me is a combination of Bonine and Vontrol, a Mexican paragoric that I found in San Carlos (I bought up every box in the pharmacia). I have to start taking the Bonine the night before to get enough in my system. It works and allows me to handle blue water boat dives, but my husband says I’m a bit "altered". I even tried Quell (I think that’s how you spell it). It’s an Australian brand I was told. Wow, what a trip. Ended up having a pillow fight on the plane ride home. My memory’s a bit foggy, but I think we got in a bit of trouble. No more of that for me. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post!
OLDSCHOOL - 3/31/2009 3:50 PM
Absolutely. That time of year is great, especially at the North Shore. If you decide on Oahu, let me know. I can provide more detailed descriptions of some fantastic dive sites. It’s been 13 yrs now since I was last there, but some things you never forget such as super diving.
Subscribed
Leslie - 3/31/2009 4:25 PM
I’ll definitely get back with you when we start to firm the trip up. It looks like next year’s spring trip is going to be Oahu!