Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Yukon Dive
BgDmbRngr - 3/28/2009 10:20 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 2

Memorial weekend we are going to be diving on the HMS Yukon and getting our Wreck Certification. Does anyone have any recomendations for what to expect and bring with us? Also going to try and get some other dives in the San Diego area, if anyone has any good suggestions I would appreciate it. I think there are still some slots left through Dolphin SCUBA if anyone wants to join the trip.
Rich-D-Fish - 3/28/2009 12:19 PM

Great dive. I’m actually diving the Yukon tomorrow morning for the third time. From my limited experience here are a few tips I picked up:

1. Bring a bigger tank. The boat supplies Al80’s which don’t give you much bottom time at 80-100’ depth, and the boat will fill yours up to 4,000psi. They do offer Nitrox, but I don’t use it.

2. Bring your sea sick remedy. It’s an open ocean dive...not a protected island cove. I use the scopamine patch prescribed by my doc. But everyone is different on this issue.

3. Lights...bigger the better. It’s dark down there ;-)

4. If you stay the night before, The Dana hotel is right across the street from the dock and most convenient. They offer diver discounts if you ask. But I just found out that a AAA discount is actually more.

5. Put your wetsuit and booties on at the car. Not a lot of room on the boat and it’s a seriously short trip to the dive site. This way you are not in the way in the morning and not rushing at the dive site.

6. Bring a camera? Great memories.

Have fun!

Rich-D-Fish - 3/30/2009 12:43 AM
I forgot to mention...my suggestions were based on diving off the Loisann dive boat. www.loisann.com There are other dive boats thought that also go there. Have fun. I just got back from my dive today. I missed the Yukon as I had trouble clearing. But I got it going again for two dives on the Ruby-E, another really fun wreck.